Starting a buisness

I am one of many I'm sure when I say I would love to up sticks and get to LOS on a permanent basis. I am not in the kind of work in farang land that transfers well over to Thailand(double glazing factory manager) but I am not afraid of hard work and would be keen to get started in a totally new direction. I don't want to be a rich man, just live a decent life in paradice. I have thought of the obviouse, open a bar but I'd prefer not to do BKK or Pattaya. Somewhere like Samui or the next Samui, Krabi maybe. Anyone got any info or put me on to the right people. I've got a couple of policies coming in maybe 1.5-2 million baht. Can't afford to make to many mistakes if you see what I mean, thanks Daz.

Daz, make an effort to post in the right forum, you will have more answers this way.

Bars? READ MY LIPS: NO. Especially in the south, maffias (some starting with a P) run the show.

i will only tell you what a friend, now well established in Phuket told me (that son of a gun was an architect, i am a specialized contractor like you, no prospects indeed): don't expect anything shaping up while at home, just bring your ass here and join the crowd, something will turn out, but leave the nightlife to the old vacation trips, and be prepared for a lot of abuses, wrong turns, long walks and sitting alone a lot in the beginning". In one word: Believe in yourself!

I am not in the moving to LOS mood now, but i think a board like this is a good networking tool, but one has to make the one-way jump first. Also, about your policies, funny how life in LOS is cheap, except when you're doing business.... Put your hiking shoes, it's uphill from here!

Daz -

Through my firm, I'm the sponsor of this forurm (see banner ad at top of main Careers/Finance page).

I don't get formally involved with what business someone goes into, and I don't get involved in funding start-ups. But my firm does supply the full range of services and assistance necessary to take care of the "mechanics" of launching a business here.

Aspects we handle:

Company name registration

Company registration

Memorandum of Association

Locating an office

Hiring staff

Corporate tax registration

Individual income tax registration

VAT registration

Social fund registration

Business plan preparation

Budget modeling

Work permit processing

Company stamp/seal

Opening bank accounts

Market research / competitive analysis

Establishing web presence (domain registration, web site hosting, website content development, web site construction, registering domain-based e-mail accounts)

Obtaining drivers license

In-country Class "B" visa processing (for work permit holders only)

Securing outside bookkeeping/auditing support

Printing business cards

And a few other things. My firm would welcome the opportunity to appear on your "short list" of candidates to handle your launch. I'd be happy to meet with you in BKK at no obligation, to outline what all is involved.

"Let the good times roll !"

Stone Soup

Hi Ya

Actually there are many opportunities to start a business in Thailand, but you need to have a lot of previous business experience to do so, as well as Thai Experience.

Live here for a few years, see what the markets are, then you can move into a business, it will be slow, but it CAN be very successful

When living in BKK, a decent live goes for about THB 80000 - THB 100,000 per month. When trying to begin a new live with THB 1,500,000, think about it twice.

Archived