What's up with this?

Old Hippie

• 2 weeks later...

How about formatting your disk and installing everything from scratch?

It will take some time but after done it, your computer will run faster too, if your HW is ok.

I just had a new hard drive installed. I can get the printer online, and install Thai fonts/keyboard etc, but if I have to restart the computer, I lose these, and have to reinstall them. Usually I just leave the damned thing on. I also have no sound now, one big pain!

The first thing that you can try to do is see if you have the most recent print driver for your printer. If you go to the printer manufactures web site you should be able to tell if you have the most current driver.

If that doesn't fix it you might be having a problem with Windows plaque. Windows stores important information and settings in a database known as the Registry If you have had this computer for a while without ever reformatting the drive and reinstalling Windows then there is a good chance that the registry is corrupt. There are programs that allow you to goof around with the registry, but you can quickly render your computer disfunctional. Backing up your important files, reformatting the HD and doing a clean install of Windows works wonders.

AG

If your printer has a list of all its files (in a read me text document perhaps) I would uninstall the printer and delete all files and then try a new install. That fixed problems I had with an Epson printer. Another things your can do if you have Regclean.exe on your computer is to run that and reboot before you do the new install. That got me running another program last week that said a file was missing (that wasn't). There may be registry entries messed up from the change to the new hard drive but would not suggest you try looking for them other than using regclean.exe

Which printer are you using?

Check to make sure you have all your updates from both Windows and the the printer manufacturer.

(If you don't have a Lexmark printer...check them out)

Archived