Buckskin Joe

Man at Work

Only two places still have some lively activity in them - Rooster Bar at the entrance to the "gauntlet", and its neighbor Det 5 Sexy Night. But - no aircon in either, meaning they are mostly full of expats who've gotten used to the heat.

The place is somewhat seasonal - come December, it will pick up again.

All the new beer bars on Soi 22, others across from Ambassador, and even those along Soi 4 have eaten into both the ranks of employees, and of customers.

"Let the good times roll!"

StoneSoup

Yes, Sukhumvit Soi 22. They've been there for a few months. Not too far up the soi, almost to the...what? Jade Pavilion Hotel? I haven't checked them out myself, but a friend who stayed at the Jade Pavilion said they looked okay.

Correct. Plenty of beer bars along Sukhumvit Soi 22, between Toy Bar 2 and Jade Pavillion. All seem to be a wee bit more 'upscale' than, for example, the bars in Sukhumvit Square. I've been at the Soi 22 bars a few times (as I live close by). My impression though is that business is quite slow, very much like Buckskin Joe's.

Straycat

"Soi Zero, as it's now called, has fallen on tough times. Last I looked half the storefronts were either abandoned, vacant, or appeared no to have been in operation for many months.

Moderators -- wanna throw this thread to Nightlife? "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi DB,

thanks

1.) for the answer

2.) for "throwing" my thread around. Sure liked it. Weeeeee

But:

Since when do you ask someone before you delete, edit or "throw" smile.gif

Have a super day

MaW

Old story too many bars too few customers, prior to 97 BKK had a heap of expats, apartment rents reflected that and the bars that existed then in the main did a roaring trade. Now half the number or expats but 3 x times the number of bars, most manage to eke out a thai style of living and some obviously still do well. pre 97 buckskins, Washington Sq and the 2 bars in Soi 22 proper did great business but now the main market is tourists so Nana, PP and SC do Ok but the other places much less so. Soi 33 could charge what they liked for beer and pussy but Blu BBQ and then "the office" changed the pricing structure in that area and all power to them. I suspect the ones most badly affected would have been the Jap only bars. A major proportion of the expats at the precrash time were high rolling japs, now while there are a few around the numbers have been slashed as they have moved a lot of their biz to China and cut back on OS expenditure.

Archived