Buckskin Joe

Man at Work

"Now half the number or expats" since 1997.

Wow. I can't question your numbers since I have no other data, but that surprises me. I would have assumed the number of expats would have grown since 1997 (despite the economic crash) due to increased tourism and international business operations.

Of course its a "out of the hat" estimate based on the number of expats (including me) that got shoved out by their companies after the 97 crisis. The business that I was in had around 20 expats of which 19 got sent back after 97. A year later the whole biz got packed up and relocated to China. Prior to 97 it was difficult to even find a good apartment (30 to 50K PCM) in the Business district, now you can find the same apartments for much less and with low occupancy. OLd Hippie is right, a few years ago Buckskins was very well patronised most nights, now look at it, most bars would double as graveyards for all the action they get.

No matter how much things change, they remain the same.

Ten years ago, I stayed at a hotel in Soi Ruam Rudee. Name sound familar? Going to NEP, i had to walk/thru Buckskin Joes. Place was basically quiet, but still had an unexplainable magnetism to stop for a cool one. Perhaps it was the laid back environment. Not mai dee. Last year, or the year before, I visited the new Soi Zero, and it was déja vous all over again. Maybe, it's future will be better than it's past.

As for the name change, imo, the name should be Soi Soon (thai for zero). More flowing and less abrubt and negative. I reckon so. >>>the Pale Rider

One of my first visits to BKK, mid 80s, I stayed at the same hotel, did the same walk and Buckskin Joes was my first experience of Nightlife in Thailand. I still do an occasional walk for nostalgia, though but I don't remember ever having had even a beer there for some years. I used to stop in there early afternoon on my way back home after work. NEP was much smaller in those days (and so was I!)

CM

It used to be a great afternoon/early evening place. Many American ex-pats, a Swiss-owned bar where the bell would be frequently rung. My favorite was the 'Honey Bar' that gave free popcorn and served hamburgers and fries. There was a good view towards the east, that is now blocked by high-rise buildings. And there was a little breeze because the expressway only covered part of it until about 1997.

<sigh>

Agree with that, but a few years later ( I am thinking about 1990-91) there were some spectacular beauties working iin the bars and as "hello girls". I can well remember the time I walked through there with a TGF and even she commented that they were gorgeous. Sadly times have changed.

Do your remember the signs sayiing " beware of the trains"? I have never seen a train on that line.

Does JL still exist, if it does I shall bore your with the story of why I never went back there?

cm

I remember 'Upcountry Bar' usually had a couple of beauties as "Hello girls". The railway track has always been in use. A few freight trains each day, going to the docks I think. If you were sitting inside Buckskin Joe's the train wasn't visible, but there was a deep rumbling which perplexed fresh punters.

I'm not familiar with JL, but tell us your story anyway.

Here's a short tale:

I used to frequent Honey Bar a couple of evenings a week and usually to just chat and watch their videos. After a few months the mammasan decided I wasn't recieving enough attention and was therefore not paying bar-fines. So I think she must have issued an order to one of the girls: get him to barfine you!

So she paid her own bar fine and took me for a trip round some of the outside bars in Nana Plaza! A very pleasant evening.

Archived