Aggression in Themae

Fatboy

Went to the Thermae last night to round off what had been up to that point a very pleasant evening.

Bought a beer, walked around a bit, sat down drinking beer and admiring the locals. I went to the bathroom and when I came back my beer was gone. No big deal,so I wander over to the bar to explain. At this point an aggressive little waiter jumps out at me, shouts abuse and starts pushing me. I do not respond as he is only half my size. He says that I accuse him of stealing beer. At this point 3 or more other waiters arrive, I smile and offer little guy hand of friendship. I sure as hell am not going to take on 4 of them over one beer, so I leave with this half pint waiter still shouting abuse.

I would like some advice because this aggressive little shit of a man must have threatened loads of other people. Is the Thermae part of Ruamchit hotel or can this guy do what he wants?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that you did the right thing (and you know you did) just by letting it lie and walking away from it. Not sure what your chances are of getting your own back - probably nil. A shame it spoiled your night but hey... remembering the experience of Rusty leaving his beer while he went for a leak it's a fair bet that you don't let yours out of your sight in future eh?

So, that was you Fatboy?

You were dressed in black last night, eh?

I saw the tail end of the incident where you went nose-to-nose with the Thai waiter and saw him follow you out the door with at least 5 other guys as backup. When they returned they made jokes not very respectful of you at all. smile.gif

Honestly, Thermae like any place that serves alcohol and specializes on having a large supply of drunks on-hand should be expected to have some behavior like this. That certainly dosn't condone it, however. You certainly handled the situation like a gentleman. Getting out of there was a very smart move.

If I was you, I would take my beer with me to the john rather than leave it there. The waiter may have thought you left for the night. Also, if you take it with you less chance of getting slipped a mickey and you can enjoy your favorite beverage while having a proper whiz. smile.gif

You have your problems with that little guy and I have mine with the old bat waitress who will not leave me alone. Still, I take the bad with the good and love going to Thermae. It's about tradeoffs, I suppose.

Sorry you had a bad experience there. Unfortunately, they won't likely forget you next time you visit Thermae either.

I posted about other attitude problems with waiters in Thermae in the past as well.

This has all come about since the 2AM closeing, I suppose they are not doing as well.

The agressive stance to get you to buy a drink or leave before you even catch your breath is what happened to me. Give a waiter a bit of authority and they do take it and run. The woman waiter asked, I declined. Then a little male waiter litterly ran to me and demanded I buy a drink or leave. This all happened within 15seconds of me entering the place. Funny thing was, I had ordered a coffee from another waiter at the bar itself and he brought it to me as the punk waiter issued his ultimatim.

Nok

Hi Fatboy,

I too would be irked by his attitude as I always go out of my way to be polite.

I think you did the right thing by leaving, kind of like you get the last laugh as you walk out into the big wide world and he continues to be a jumped up little guy serving beers.

Put it behind you and smile when you see him next as it's him who has the problem.

Regards,

Stump_Dog.

• [color:blue]"I do not respond as he is only half my size. "color=blue>

I would not bet on anybody fighting against the Thermae staff. I saw some fightings, when immediately one guest was fighting against 4 - 5 waiters, some were smashing stools on the guy from behind. Needless to say who win.

How many semi-democratic or above places in the world do you know where you have to take your beer with you to the restroom to protect it?

I hate hearing reasons to try to justify poor service or unacceptable behavior. Certain principles are universal and you must stand and defend them. I agree with the poster's decision to leave the premises and not make a stupid scene over a beer. Sometimes people are wrong period and it's silly to make excuses for inappropriate behavior. The problem here is the Thai staff gets away with it and just reinforces their behavior in the future. Poor service training/management if one is looking to put blame somewhere..............

Cardinalblue

If that happens in as crowded and dark a place as is Thermae in a San Francisco or Paris joint, sure, i will let either the bartender or the person sitting next to me to watch over it. And i think the probability of having a drink spiked in a BKK freelancer spot is not great, but it DOES happen. As usual, better safe than sorry

Archived