Aggression in Themae

Fatboy

• [color:blue]"I went to the bathroom and when I came back my beer was gone."color=blue>

I usually ask one of the "locals" to keep an eye on my drink. Always works (sometimes a nice opening for an "après" in my room wink.gif)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thing about disappearing beers in Thermae when you go for a leak...

Not so long ago I was sitting in a booth there with my Thermae GF and two of her friends. I asked TGF to watch my beer while I visit the head. I return and beer is gone! Ask GF what happened?? Apparently some guy was interested in one of her girlfriends and had gotten very nasty when she didn't want to go with him. I guess he went a little ballistic and started shouting at her calling her a whore among other things. Not exactly clear what happened to my beer, but the offended girl had grabbed it and either broke it over his head or threw it at him! Not sure which....

The girl involved was about as sweet and lovely as they get in Thermae and I had been working toward including her in a doubleheader that night. Didn't happen though, as when I got back to the table she was in tears and visibly shaking from the incident. There must have been quite a ruckus judging from the looks on people's faces and the void around our booth. But I do not regret missing it. The waiters must have moved quickly as the guy was long gone and the mess cleaned up by the time I returned.

Shit happens in there, but I think it's much safer than say the Grace Hotel bar.

ST

Fellow fellows, you are discussing the Thermae!! While there are some" nice?" ladies there and a few of the punters are perhaps respectable this is Fellinis den-right out of a movie. Why would anyone expect civil behavior in a place like this? Its not the upper east side of Manhattan, Paris on the left bank or Speciifc

Whites in SF-Its the Thermae- Its about the bizarre show-IMHO expect anyrhing and never let don't anything or anyone ruffle your shorts.Have fun,watch your back.mai dorg nah tack and its all good.

The thing that I don't understand is why you went to the bar to explain after you returned from the lavatory to discover your beer gone. What were you explaining? Did you expect a replacement drink and if so why? If you were a bar tender and someone came up to you in your position would you replace the beer or think that there was a good reason why it was the bar's problem?

You leave a beer in a crowded bar and exit the room, whether it's to the toilet or outside and what is likely to happen? They call it "minesweeping" where I live. It could have been another punter whipped your beer. Why tell the bar staff? They don't keep tabs on individual beverage ownership. What are they supposed to do, hold an inquiry as to who took your beer?

And if one of the barstaff had taken your unattended drink, then he was only doing his job. Cleaning up and thus freeing up the table for another punter and removing a potential bar room brawl weapon.

Sorry, but not being pedantic, I just don't see what the problem was that required the attention of the staff. Seems like common sense dictates that if you're on your own then you either take the beer with you, ask someone you trust to watch it, (then you're not really on your own), or down the beer before you leak.

Sukumvit,

Very well thoght out and articualte response to this thread.

It is sound advice, and I concur with it.

However, I think the punter, at the time, was not well reasoned in his actions, due to possibly being affected by alcholo, even if just 1 or 2 beers under the belt.

Although I do understand his actions.

I myself, might have done the same, and in hindsight, felt stupid after i did it, as you are right, there are to many variables to take the stand the punter did, or what I might have done, in the same situation under the influence of a few beers.

But in the end, his actions to smile and leave were a good finale to the situation.

But your advice puts me in good stead, on my next trip, if the same situation applies.

Cheers

Have to disagree with you here. The poster states he wondered over to the bar to explain. Professional staff should be able to deal with this without turning it into a conflict.

If they took it in error it should be replaced. If they don't know or can't remember then it maybe it's tough luck.

No excuse for shouting and agression.

If they took it in error it should be replaced. Maybe not. After reading Sukh's post I can see the staff don't have time to investigate every half-empty beer bottle. But I certainly agree that professional staff should be able to deal with this without turning it into a conflict. To be aggressive with a customer who asks for an explanation (even if he's wrong) is just plain uncivilized.

Archived