"For a long time..."

gawguy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well yes....

Being the "poor dude who posted the question" I am a bit confused. One clear answer would be great in a perfect world, but I understand the complexity.

I have a simple vocabulary and I like phrases that have words I know and add some new ones. In this case I like:

Yak pen peuan gan nahn nahn.

I don't have my dictionary at hand. Does "gan" have a precise meaning here?

Thanks for all the ideas.

GG

phom yak roo jak khun mah nahn leaw - ¼ÃÃÂÒ¡¨ÃÃÙéÃÑ¡¤Ø³¹Ò¹ÃÒáÅéÇ (I would like to know you for a long time). > No this translates as "I have wanted to know you for a long time"

Doh!....back to the drawing board... Now that you've pointed it out it I can see what I've done wrong. But I was thinking along the lines of what orandanodes said.. 'I wished I'd met you along time before'.. but I guess that's not what gawguy was wanting to know...

But the 'nahn gwah nee'... I don't think is inappropriate as it has the same sentiment that is needed.. ie. 'I want to know you better/longer' than we do.....

Cheers and thanks for the feedback...

FF

Hi,

Yes, a bit of linguistic jousting as the other poster said...

I've since put it into perspective after talking through it with my g/f and she agrees that 'yak pen peuan gan nahn nahn' best and simply puts across what you want to say.

'gan' here (pronounced GUN) basically means 'together'..

Cheers and good luck

FF

Hi,

Please allow me to comment.

1. "phom yak roo jak khun mah nahn leaw - ¼ÃÃÂÒ¡¨ÃÃÙéÃÑ¡¤Ø³¹Ò¹ÃÒáÅéÇ"

This sentence means "I have wanted to meet (get to know) you for a while". It is similar to "I have heard so much about you, wanted to meet you for a long time now".

2. "phom yak pen peuan khun mah nahn laew - ¼ÃÃÂÒ¡à»ç¹à¾×èù¤Ø¹¹Ò¹ÃÒáÅéÇ" has the similar meaning as #1 but to the people you can be freinds with, not for older persons.

The sentence # 2 can be used when you just meet a wife of a friend, # 1 would be appropriate when you first meet parents of freinds.

"phom yak hai rou pen peuan gun nahn nahn" "I would like us to be freinds for a long time" can be used also.

Cheers!

as with any language there are many ways of saying the same thing. not all necessarily right or wrong, black or white. as long as 'the poor dude' who asked got his answer. do i detect a bit of a 'whose the best thai speaker' competition here?

Lots of interesting replies here. I tend to lean towards simple responses, however. I want to know you for a long time could be also said in English as I would like to make your acquaintance for an extended period of time, much longer than the brief period of time we have already known each other- but one just wouldn't say that. Also some of the replies are changing the meaning a bit.

Hence, simply, 'I would like to know you for a long time' would be 'Pom yak ja ruujak khun naan naan'

"I would like to be your friend for a long time." - 'Pom yak ja pben phuan khun naan naan'

The above phrases are a bit formal, but oh well. There are all sorts of paak waan phrases one can make out of this concept but that's another thread. =)

Archived