A grim reminder to be careful

walletss

Seems a way out of this if you are not in debt. Quit your job, find a way to live a simpler, cheaper life with your parents/friends or in Thailand and enjoy the fact you are starving her out of the handouts. Would seem completely legal and can you imagine her reaction when A) she doesn't receive the first check and B) the next reaction when she finds there isn't a red cent coming anymore?

I think people should at least live by the rule: no kids, no marriage. A marriage certificate is a sneaky legal contract with just 2 purposes (1) signing away your assets to your spouse and (2) higher taxes. It seems people can be just as happy without buying this pesky piece of paper, but "up to you".

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if the marriage document is from Thailand rather than falangland? Can a US court give her money for a marriage that took place outside of the US? I would definitely not get married in the US with a Thai girl as I would be playing some serious high stakes craps with my bank account. My belief (illinformed probably) was that if you marry in Thailand then a US court could never do anything to you. To me it is irrelevent as I have nothing that can be taken but I would be interested to know what would be the result if I did have money.

Do you mean they are in a defacto relationship or married?? If he brought her over on a defacto visa he must have lived with her in Thailand for 12 months, that is Australian law. If he has no prenup, then afer living together on Australian soil for 12 months she is entitled to half of everything basically. You dont have to be married, only have to live together in a relationship. This is something many Australians do not realise when living with the BF/GF.

As for her claim, if he brought her over on defacto, and its only been a year, she has to go back, it takes 2 years before the relationship can be reviewed and a permanent residency visa issued, so as far as I can tell from reading all the documents on this topic, she would be deported, she is not allowed to stay in the country if the relationship ends.

This is something he needs to follow up on, I have just been reading up on all this the last week or so.

I think people should at least live by the rule: no kids, no marriage. A marriage certificate is a sneaky legal contract with just 2 purposes (1) signing away your assets to your spouse and (2) higher taxes.

You spoke like a sage.

One more purpose. (3) taking joint responsibility for legal and financial obligation your spouse makes, with or without your knowledge.

Really scary stuff.

My belief (illinformed probably) was that if you marry in Thailand then a US court could never do anything to you.

I believe you are wrong. I think all that a US court cares about is whether you are legally married. Where the marriage took place is irrelevant.

Thus, if you're married by a Buddhist monk, it is not recognized by the US. However, if you're marriage is registered with the ampeur, you're married, period, and all marital issues will be handled the same way as if you were married in Winnesburg, OH.

So don't assume that getting married outside the US gives you an advantage.

At least this is how I understand this to work.

"If he has no prenup, then afer living together on Australian soil for 12 months she is entitled to half of everything basically"

As I found out to my considerable cost prenuptial aggreements (in Aust and NZ anyway ) aren't worth the paper they are written on. In my case even though the prenup was written up by a lawyer and notorised properly by both parties the family court wouldn't even look at it. They say you cannot contract your way out of the law.

FB,

The Family Court in Oz would have to be one of the most ruthless, tyrannical 'beureaucrazies' on the planet. They claim to put the interests of the children first, but they inevitably side with the female half of a relationship in any disputes. So much for the law being impartial ....

Having said that, I could easily substitute the word 'Asian' in the original post for 'Australian' : in my experience, they will go after you for every last penny, and then some. I suspect this is one of the reasons that Muslim men dont like their women mixing with ('Christian') Australian women. That, and Oz suburban recreational activities (wife-swapping + devil worship = a big weekend in Chatswood smile.gif )

For the USA, once the marriage is registered at the District Office in Thailand you are married under US law.

I am not a lawyer and have not had experience in this (knock on wood) but believe if living in Thailand you would be subject to Thai law and thus the 50/50 split under its common property laws.

If you were living in a US state it would be the law of that state (they are all different), and where you were married would not mean anything.

That is my best guess.

Why do you think many, if not most, Thai men do not bother to register their marriage?

Archived