A grim reminder to be careful

walletss

Hi,

This is also true of the UK. Prenuptial agreements are meaningless when it comes to divorce in the UK. (Not too sure about Scotland though, since they have a different legal system).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<<For the USA, once the marriage is registered at the District Office in Thailand you are married under US law.

I am not a lawyer and have not had experience in this (knock on wood) but believe if living in Thailand you would be subject to Thai law and thus the 50/50 split under its common property laws.

If you were living in a US state it would be the law of that state (they are all different), and where you were married would not mean anything.

That is my best guess.

Why do you think many, if not most, Thai men do not bother to register their marriage?>>

Well that is a very good guess because you are exactly right. I know from expierence. I was married in Bangkok. Only took half an hour and a small cost. I got divorced in the USA which took almost two years and big money.

California is a reamer for divorce! General rule of thumb, half of all the assest aquired during the marrage, including pensions, realestate retirements etc...then, the party with the higher inclome will generally have to pay the other 1/2 of the difference of the combined incomes, for a period of 1/2 the duration of the marrage... In other words, married for 10 years, you make $1000/mo, She makes $500, you owe her $250/mo for 5 years. All depends... Don't even get me started on Child support! About $750 or so per kid for someone in my income bracket (middle class-mid upper). I work with guys who have take home incomes of $3000+ but pay the wife $800, and $1500 in child support, leaving them $700/mo! Working overtime or a second job just means more payout! How'd you like to be 40+ living with your parents in your old room...? sucks! or so I hear!

Hey OH....

Just confirms what I've heard about Calif. I can't even imagine what the "dead-beat dad's" laws are like there.

This has got to be the percurser to the end of traditional marriage as we know it, sooner, or later. Why would any reasonable human being willingly put himself in this possibly horrible situation, on their own accord?.

What you tink, as an ordained minister, about this conflict of church, and State? Traditional marriage is very much a religious ceremony. You can state your commitment to someone, and live your life with someone, without having to enter into a legally binding contract, that is controlled by the State, when you chose the option to not go the religious route. But get married in a church......and it then does become a State regulated, State enforced, legal contract, which can destroy you.

Seems to belie the separation of Church and State concept, and in the end, has to result in many more 'common law' unions, in the future, as the horror stories pile up, and men become so much more 'gun-shy'.

(and I do understand that common law marriages have limited legal implications in, and of, themselves)

Just thinkin' out loud. smile.gif

HT

I sopke to her last night and asked her if she was certain that she had permanent residence. She said it was stamped on her passport. It seems that The Australian government recognises her defacto relationship. She told me that they had lived together previously in Thailand and been together (more or less) since 1995, even though she has been in Australia for just over a year.

By the way. She wants to know if her guy gives her an initial payment of $20000 to get out, will she still get single mother beneiits from the governement?

Pattaya maybe you would know the answer to this?

What's the situation when there is a marriage split between a farang and Thai in Thailand?

Is it the same deal where things are divided up the same as US or Australia? Can she sue you?

Are defactos recoginised legally there?

Archived