A grim reminder to be careful

walletss

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"What's the situation when there is a marriage split between a farang and Thai in Thailand?"

Pattayas answer is too often the case if you are not prepared to leave Thailand. smile.gif And for Pattaya - there is no registration at the US Embassy in the marriage process; although believe some countries do have that type of requirement.

Wife is due 50% but if parties can come to an agreement anything can be written into the divorce papers and no cause needs to be proven if agreement is reached (that I know of). So, yes, it is much like the dividing up as in the US and you could end up paying the rest of her life, but usually without the need for court or lawyers and almost nobody sues here. You bargain here as elsewhere and try to keep it civil.

Can't answer about defactos as don't know what they are.

Unless Blair and his bum-boys have changed it in my absence, British law does not recognize defacto relationships and you keep all your assets during a split. If married, assets are pooled.

One friend tried to persuade a judge that the Thai wife had not done a day's work during their marriage (he described himself as her hotelier, taxi-driver and cleaner!) and he was told that she was obviously dependant totally on him and would he therefore have to stump up even more maintenance than expected.

It should be a human rights thing, surely, equality of the sexes!

BTW, I thought that in Thailand it was only assets aquired after marriage that were split fifty-fifty?

Basically, don't get married (which messes up the visa), don't pay outright for assets such as houses and don't even give a hint of your real farang wealth (if you have any). Or if you do get married keep everything offshore and don't spend any more than you can bear to lose. Personally, I rent my house out in the UK and use that money to live on (and as I consider it free money I don't really mind what happens to it). My real money never comes anywhere near Thailand.

Oz and NZ, as I understand it, if you live with a Thai girl for two years she is entitled to the same rewards on splitting as a real wife - even if the pair have only lived in Thailand!

Hi Art,

Hey, i am from Chatswood, never been invited to these so called wife-swap/devil worship parties frown.gif

Must upgrade my circle of friends.

It is a common mis-conception in Australia, that a defacto relationship kicks in at the expiration of 12 months. In most jurisdictions (Australia has 6 separate states) the time period is 2 years. Unless, there is a child to the relationship or other exceptional circumstances exist, then it could be 1 day or 1 month.

Having said that, it is based on contributions mainly. De facto's do not get those rights that married couples attract in the family court.

I have always said to my clients, you prepare for divorce. If you get a wind that separation is on the cards, then you gear your assetts accordingly.

As with most proficient businessmen/women, you engaged a lawyer at the commencement of an enterprise. Unfortunately, these days, alot of western women, as well as asian, see marriage as an enterprise, rather then true unconditional love. Prebnuptials are not apart of the Australian lawscene, but there are talks to introduce them (mainly based on the high increase in property values these days).

I recall one client, WW11 veteran married a young fillipino gal, he was 72, she was 31. Well, the enivitable happened, once permanancy reared its ugly head, the cry for divorce came up. Fortunately, her greed was her downfall. Whilst on a trip back to the home country, the house was sold, money spent (he claimed on wine, women, song and gambling). She recieved nothing, except the trip back to the fillipines. he was fortunate (had a good lawyer too smile.gif

Cheers,

Greg

Hi walletss,

Seems you may wish to abide by your own reservations.

If she has these desires now, who will be the next bunny?

Be careful, be warned, even if by yourself.

However, she has come from another country, the deterioration in the marriage may not be her fault, she has uprooted her life, maybe some compensation is expected. A suggestion that she can always return to Thailand may not be as easy to do as it sounds. Lets not forget face!

Cheers,

Greg

I am not judging her. Frankly I wouldn't be like to be out on the street in an expensive western country without money and she wont be going back to Thailand because her son is studying here. The purpose of the thread is really to show how easy it is for us to become financially unstuck when things dont work out.

"Heck, some couples get married on cruise ships in international waters. "

Not that common anymore.

Too much paperwork.

Not that many ministers/officials on the cruise ships.

Its more the "I do" thing once more.

Some Japanese cruise ship Captains can still marry people.

The ship's flag (homeport) will be the part to decide if you can.

Most cruise ships are flying Bahamas these days. Which more or less means British maritime laws.

Sailor

Well that is a very good guess because you are exactly right. I know from expierence. I was married in Bangkok. Only took half an hour and a small cost. I got divorced in the USA which took almost two years and big money.

I don't get it.

Why not get divorced in a place that has more favorable laws? If you got married in Bangkok, surely you could get divorced there, and I hardly see how the Thai legal system could touch any assets you had in the US.

The now ex-wife filed for divorce first in the USA. And by that time she had already hired a vicious diehard divorce lawyer and had liens on my property.

I wonder how it would have turned out if I filed first in LOS? I think she would have ignored it and gone ahead and filed in the USA. and it would still have ended in a mess.

Archived