A grim reminder to be careful

walletss

Sometimes we don't expect things that look so rosy to turn sour but it can happen and ruin your life.

I have a Thai female internet friend who I have become friendly with. She lives in Australia and has permanent residence as she is married to an Australian by defacto. The relationship is just over a year old and on the rocks. He wants her out of his house. She has told me herself in no uncertain terms that she will only go when he pays her out her share of assets. I need to mention that he is supporting her and her son from a previous relationship. He brought them both out from Thailand. Of course she has never worked and has no assets excepting those she will aquire from him from the breakup. Apparently the scenario will be that the guy will be forced to sell his house to pay her out.

I don't know about you guys but it really makes me think twice about ever bringing back any Asian woman for anything more than a vacation. The idea of being taken to the cleaners like that at this stage of my life is frightening.

Maybe its better just to have casual gfs that can't break you like that?

I am not attempting to judge her motives because they may have been pure and well intended, but it really makes you realise what the price can be when things don't work out.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi walletss,

This could happen with any girl, in any country. Depending on the laws of where you live, a marriage gone sour can cost you dearly. Interesting how much the laws governing a marriage contract can differ, from not only country to country, but state/province to state/province within. From what I've heard, I'm lucky I did not marry my ex-wife in California. I know a guy from there, who is now visting, who had to pay her $28,000 just in retro-active payments, from before they even split up. Just brutal.........

HT

People will never know how their relationship ends up with.

It's a very big responsibility to bring an Asian woman + child to your country. Especially if they depend on you only.

So people who choose to do this have to know the consequences. Buying a ticket back to Thailand would be the least they could do.

However, if the Thai woman has some dignity and respect towards him, she shouldn't make things too difficult for him. Like selling his house and properties etc.

I personally have the feeling that many Thai women are with "farang" because of their money rather than their love for them. It's also a way of changing and improving your life.

But this way of improving your life is dangerous and often ends with troubles for both sides.

I would like to know how they deal with this issue when you hear from your friend again, thanks.

Hi OH,

Hahaha....you beat me to the punch! Being from SF, maybe you know of community property laws, and child support laws, in California? Are they really that harsh?

HT

The laws in CA can be brutal. As in my case it was "The manner in which she was acustom" as the judge said.

Figure if she isn't working, you are, the paycheck is deposited into an account, she pays the bills etc, that is what she will get when the sheets are split. In other words ALL OF IT!

"Same could be said (quite sadly) for marrage to anyone just about anywhere

.."

You are right but one point I want to make is that if it's a western wife you are more likely to have combined assets where the wife was member of the workforce and perhaps had some assets before you began living together. Its seems more fair then.

In the case I am describing, the Thai spent little more than a year here, never worked, and is now legally worth half of her partners assets.

She really had nothing at all at stake by coming out here.

Hi Directional Hand,

>>>>>The laws in CA can be brutal. As in my case it was "The manner in which she was acustom" as the judge said.

Figure if she isn't working, you are, the paycheck is deposited into an account, she pays the bills etc, that is what she will get when the sheets are split. In other words ALL OF IT!<<<<

I feel your pain.

HT

I personally have the feeling that many Thai women are with "farang" because of their money rather than their love for them

-------------------------

As others said, you can take out the thai and replace farang with man. they may not be in the money at first, but if it turns sour. Anyway, i do not think in california, they have a claim on what's yours before you're married. Would be happy to stand...uncorrected!

Archived