Why do go-go bars play such crap music?

lotus

OK I know the music is'nt the primary attraction but if an owner is looking to give his bar an edge over the others why not start here?

Why has the whole European Dance/Trance/Ibiza scene been completely missed by the useless DJs in the bars?

I have no idea where they get all that dross from, in most bars you get the occasional decent song, the classics such as "Relax" etc, the rest just crud, stuff that is so bad you never hear it in the normal world.

I have a yearning to go into a bar and throw a load of CDs at the DJ, let's start with, say Matt Darey's "Beautiful" and see the difference. Would he play my stuff? maybe not, and I'd just look like a jerk so I probably won't actually do it.

There is only one bar I can think of that makes a small effort here, and that is Baby Go-Go in Pattaya, but the girls there, all dressed in the same white, look like androids turned out on a production line in Bang-Na. (complete with pre-loaded phrases "where you come from" etc)

Am I getting jaded about go-go? Whatever gave you that impression?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree the majority of the music is crap sometimes I think I have stepped back into time when I walk into a gog-go. The music is the primary reason why I can't sit in a a go-go bar for more than 30min. Imagine the poor girls listening to the same crap every night, personally I would disembowel myself with a rusty spoon if I had to suffer the same fate.

Most of the clientele and owners are older guys who only want to listen to rock and roll "classics", so i guess it is a case of catering to your clientele.

I think the time has arrived for a young owner to play current music in order to diferentiate himself from the pack.

I think if you bribe the Dj in your home bar he will play a selection of your choice.

Guest lazyphil

Why has the whole European Dance/Trance/Ibiza scene been completely missed

Because its pantswink.gif, what next will you want? The girls waving yellow bright tubes around and blowing whistlestongue.gif

My impression of most Thai bar DJs is that they are a law unto themselves. If you look through their collection and pick something out, they might grudgingly play half a song. Then its back to what they want. Unless you do as previously suggested and buy the DJ a drink.

I somtimes wonder if even the bar owners/managers have much control over these people.

On a related theme, I've often been in Thai supermarkets with Thai heavy metal being blasted at the customers! Out of control DJs again.

Guest lazyphil

I have no idea where they get all that dross from, in most bars you get the occasional decent song, the classics such as "Relax" etc, the rest just crud, stuff that is so bad you never hear it in [color:red] the normal worldcolor=red>.

Whats normal about a go go? isn't this the point of it all? escaping the so called 'normal world' for a few weeks?

Archived