Why do go-go bars play such crap music?

lotus

I am fine with classic rock & roll. What I really had in mind was the "I'm a Barbie Girl, in a Barbie world" stuff that constitutes the majority of output in many bars.

No I don't mean the stuff they play on MTV as MTV don't play proper dance music by policy. They seem to think it is too drug-related for some reason...

Why can't I have MoS AND naked girls? Seems like a reasonable enough request!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

scuse me jacko. I dont think I mentioned it had anything to do with BKK.

But where ever I travel I always try to check out the DJ's and the environment they work in. And from my experience a fair number of the BBK go go DJ's suffer from lots of the same crap strip club DJ's do in the states. Also if the DJ played everything the girls wanted all the time the place would quickly turn into utter anarchy. The key is balance, and there are damm few owners who understand that.

Guest lazyphil

Strange isn't it though. those cheesy songs like 'Barbie' and that dededada blue thingy remind you most of los when back home...wheter you like it or not. Quite disturbing reallytongue.giftongue.gif

Hey - Sarasin -

You sound like a man with music tastes similar to mine ('guess you must be an "old fart" too) -

If you're in town, stop by The Living Room at Clinton Plaza early Thursday evening, September 19th. From 6:00 pm until about 8:30 pm, I'll be playing a couple of CD mixes made about a month ago - Tu-Do Mixes #1 and #2 - reprising music from Vietnam war era.

A few tidbits:

Time Has Come Today (Chambers Brothers)

Time of the Season (Argent)

Journey to the Center of My Mind (Amboy Dukes / Ted Nugent)

Rescue Me (Fontella Bass)

In The Midnight Hour (Wilson Pickett)

Nowhere to Run (Martha Reeves & Vandellas)

Hold On I'm Comin' (Sam and Dave)

Mississippi Queen (Mountain)

Sweet Hitchhiker (CCR)

All Right Now (Free)

Get Ready (Rare Earth)

Lover Her Madly (The Doors)

Gimme Some Lovin' (Spencer Davis Group)

and about 25 similar, including Steppenwolf, Zeppelin, Supremes, Byrds, Grand Funk, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Santana.

All are welcome - If you want to know if you're in the right place, just look behind the bar for a couple of humongous brandy snifters - each housing a live version of my avatar!

I've been thinking that this would be a great time to open a bar in Bangkok called the "Tu-Do Club", themed on' 67-'69 Saigon, and catering to all the veterans of that period who are passing through Asia, doing their last hurrah. Period music, big maps of SE Asia on walls with key bases annotated, unit patches, photos, and memorabilia. Get a few slim waitresses wearing au-dais. Maybe some theme gimmicks like downing the "mortar shell" at Sharkey Bar in Phnom Penh.

After another couple of years, it'll be too late - all the Viet Vets will be manning a firebase in hell somewhere.

I recognize that even a lot of the young, cutting edge bands of the moment have work out that covers bands from the 60's and early 70's - because they love the older music too! So too do the rap and reggae artists (for the hell of it, on Thursday night I'll also play Public Enemy's cover of "For What Its Worth" and Shaggy's sampling of Erma Franklin's cover of Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart").

"Let the good times roll !!!!!"

Stone Soup

The Fighting Fish

I know the DJ at a techno place, and he have to buy the CDs with his own salary. This place has spent huge amounts on lightning and sound system, but still is not willing to pay a bath for the CDs.

I would guess that the DJs in most go-go bars are just ordinary blokes with no training willing to work for next to nothing. They probably have to provide the CDs as well, so no wonder you have been hearing the same music since you first came to Thailand.

That said, I think the variety in typical Thai places is even worse. Seems like it only exists 15-20 popular Thai songs. Ever heard "Khun ruk Phom" lately?

Paillote

"...After another couple of years, it'll be too late - all the Viet Vets will be manning a firebase in hell somewhere...."

A lot of them have all ready manned a fire base in hell...

Soup, sounds like a decent idea, not really sure a lot of guys of that era are passing through though, but I'd go for the music. There was a bar similar to that in San Diego a few years back, called Saigon Palace, staffed by Asian girls, period music, pool, and a few lifer types telling their stories, love these kind of places! smile.gif

Archived