Why do go-go bars play such crap music?

lotus

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AS OH said in a different thread, it's part of the charm. Just think of the average guy who goes in a gogo, hardly below 30, and most likely over 40 in majority. remember the feelings people have when they find themselves in such places and the company of girls, they feel young again, they 're doing the "naughty" again, just like when John Kay sung "born to be wild". I must admit there's something funny about having an older, chubbier guy sing it along. I mean it in a good sense, they're having agood time, they feel Ok again, vindicated from 20 years in the rat race and a so-so lovelife back home. This clientele just does not want to hear super loud bassy humpy techno that reminds them there's much younger than them. I understand them, even though i am like you rather heading towards discos to dance all night.

I agree with you that the music played in most go-go's is crap. However, I guess we differ in what constitutes crap. For me, classic rock 'n roll is all I want to hear... yeah, I'm an old fart and the Rolling Stones sound just fine to me. As I see it Rap music is the most disgusting noise I have ever heard. The popular Techno hiphop crap played in the discos a close second. Guess it all depends on your perspective and the generation you came of age in. From what you said, I wouldn't think you would have much difficulty locating go-go bars with the 'right' sound for you. Try some of the Kings Group joints on the pong and if that don't get it hit the trendy discos.

Not sure what this Eurotrash Dance/Trance/Ibiza stuff really sounds like, but if it's anything like the shit I see/hear on MTV I hope its short-lived.

Fellas, am I all alone here and just getting old?? BTW - Hotel California has never been one of my favorites.

ST (over the hill)

Guest lazyphil

As I see it Rap music is the most disgusting noise I have ever heard

Having said that, I thinks Dre and Snoop would very much enjoy [color:red]REDcolor=red> Bangkok laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I don't really care what they play in the go-go's, but I usually bring my cd walkman and headphones and as soon as the taxi gets near Pattaya I alway's play "Welcome to the Jungle", I don't use the walkman in bars or go-go's

Obviously, they do play it for the typical older punter, but I think there'd be room for something younger in the market.

The depressing thing is that most bars don't even try to stray outside the formula, in anything. AngelWitch and Rockhard are the only ones that ever try anything different. I think this attitude is misguided and that trying something new like this would do well.

Well now here is something I might be able to help explain. I work as a DJ in a topless club in Vegas. There are lots of constraints placed on most DJ's. First you have the owner. They almost always have no clue about music or equipment. They would be happy to just have a jukebox so they wouldn't have to pay a DJ. Then you have the general managers. They usualy have no clue about current or popular music, and in some cases will insist that you play repetitive songs over and over again. Usualy because they like them and they could really care less about the customers. Or worse yet they think that is what the customers want to hear. Most GM's just won't let go of that control, and realize that they should have a staff of decent DJ's and just let them do their jobs.

Then you have the shift managers. They will come in and request songs that they are in the mood for, regardless of the fact that you are in the midst of an entirley different set. Then you have the dancers that all want to hear the same 5 hiphop songs over and over, and get pissed if you play them for someone else. Then you have the girls that want to hear something "sexy" like Creed or Korn or Rob Zombie. (how in the hell do they think a guy will want a table dance to that) But if the tip is right I will play most anything. Most techno/trance/ibiza stuff is fun for about 10 min. Then you must injest large quanitys of chemicals to be able to handle the repitition. What seems to work the best for me is a broad mix of music.

In any given hour I try to play just about any and everything. You will hear euro dance, and pop, and classic rock, and even country. The key is as long as its good for its genre'. You would be suprised how even the older guys like to hear new stuff. (it makes them feel hip) and the real hip young guys will still sing to steve miller or bon jovi. (of course this is all predicated on enough beer) Hell last weekend I had a group of black guys singing along with the girls to Your The One That I Want from Grease. ooh ooh ooh Now I am not mr wonderful or even that great of a DJ, but the key is to mix it up. In LOS unfortunatly most of the DJ's seemed to be stuck. Either the manger is riding them, or they are in there own little world. Oh well still a great time to be had. Remember back in the 50's they invented rock for kids that couldn't sing very well. In the 80's the invented rap for kids that couldn't sing at all.

Archived