Thai Survivor Tribe names

shotover

Just watched the initial "Survivor" show set this season on Koh Tarutao. Who will be the first to translate the latest Survivor TV show tribe names?

Chuay Gahn

Sook Jai

Also, curious as to whether the producers built the long pier and large house where they hold the tribal council meetings, or if these existed before the show. It would surprise me if the Thais allowed much construction on the island given the ruckus over the concerns rising from "The Beach" movie and Koh Phi Phi.

"I was, finally, interested in watching one of these survivor shows, now that it's in Thailand. How was it?"

Not much different from prior Survivor shows, with the players professing excitement over the location and love for each other while in the group, but privately complaining about their hardships and plotting to discredit each other. Certainly not parallel with the meaning of their tribe names.

On the first episode, not many interesting Thai culture tie-ins.

They paddled out to the islands in ornate canoes that looked like they were built for tourists to ride in on the Chao Phaya, and the immunity stick is a Buddha image. Other than a few minor things, it could be set in any tropical island.

"It would surprise me if the Thais allowed much construction on the island given the ruckus over the concerns rising from "The Beach" movie and Koh Phi Phi. "

The difference here is that Tarutao is an inhabited island and has been for years, there are already piers and buildings already on it. Phi Phi was, until filming, pretty much untouched.

Here's the link to Thai language. Tarutao was a former prison island a Thai version of "Devil's Island'.

What person well known to Thai language learners was incarcerated there as a political prisoner in the '30's?

Bragging rights to the first correct answer.

Not So Sethapura ? The Pirates of Tarutao - Who is the real author ? And the answer is not Paul Adirex.

In reply to:

In 1938, the Thai government established a penal colony on the island of Tarutao in the Andaman Sea, 3 miles from British Malaya.

After the Japanese invasion of Malaya in December 1941, Lieutenant Kevin Knox, seven other British soldiers, and an American soldier of fortune, Collin Cunningham, are imprisoned on Tarutao as prisoners-of- war. Continuous shortages of food and medicine force the prison director, Khun Apipat, and the guards and inmates into committing acts of piracy on ships passing near Tarutao. The 9 POWs must choose between joining the pirates or upholding their moral code and facing the consequences.

Knox falls in love with beautiful Malatee, the half Thai, half Sea Gypsy daughter of a Tarutao fisherman. Their love affair has drawn Malatee into a situation that threatens her life.

Danger, suspense, and action revealing courage and cruelty dominate the story, reaching its climax in a chess match of wits between Khun Apipat and the British forces for control of the seas around Tarutao after W.W.II.

<The difference here is that Tarutao is an inhabited island and has been for years, there are already piers and buildings already on it. Phi Phi was, until filming, pretty much untouched>

I don`t mean to drift away from the topic, but just wanted to make a few comments to the above.

Koh Tarutao is not inhabited by anyone but park staff officials and tourists. At least that was the case when I was there for 2 weeks in 1996. And I hiked the entire western side of the island. No houses no nothing.

The film the Beach is quite recent (2-3 ys.) and before that time Koh Phi Phi was nowhere untouched. I`ve been coming there regularly since 1990. I don`t really think the Beach had as much impact as I would have expected, but that is probably just because it was hard already to squeeze in more tourists. smile.gif

But I suspect that the meaning of touched/untouched is probably mainly in the eyes of the beholder.

Hua Nguu

Not to further side track the thread:

I worked on Phi Phi in 94/95'. The island that is inhabited is Phi Phi Don and it is a bit of an ecological disaster. The local idea of refuse management was to make enormous piles of plastic water bottles and burn them releasing all sorts of wonderful toxins into the air.

The island where "The Beach" was filmed is Phi Phi Lei, Phi Phi Don's sister island. Phi Phi Lei is uninhabited. As the story goes, the Thai who has the bird?s nest collection rights for that area keeps it uninhabited. The movie was made in Maya Bay and the concern was over the movie company planting dozens of non-native palm trees for scenery. In the end they ended up cleaning all of the trash and left the place in better condition than before they arrived.

The argument is asinine in any event, as boatloads of Asian, mostly Japanese, tourists have long since trashed the entire bay. When I was there we used to have our lunch in between dives in the bay. As we would sit and eat, several speedboats would ferry the tourists in so that they could snorkel, in life jackets no less, and stand on the coral heads effectively killing them. Just so they could get a nice photo to show uncle Ichi back home. It was sickening to see the total lack of environmental concern by the Thai operators of these businesses.

Archived