What's With All The Helicopters?

StoneSoup

Hmmmmmmmmmmm........... After living in Bangkok for 30 months, with five years of frequent comings and goings before that, I've developed my own sense of what constitutes local "normal" in Thailand.

So I've noticed as "abnormal" over the last couple of days that there is an unusual amount of helipcopter traffic over my neck of Bangkok. Just one Huey at a time, flitting in various directions, obviously taking people somewhere.

As an old Army hand, who once upon a time had the job of monitoring global "hotspots" for "indicators" that something was about to go awry, it seems possible to me that something is simmering right now in Thailand, marked by much need for "face-to-face" coordination meetings.

'Could be the Tamil talks. Could be the upcoming military reshuffle. Could be joyrides. Or ?????????

One set of indicators does not make a case for anything. So - I was just wondering......Is anyone else noticing anything "funny" going on????

Or can I turn my attention back to the babes and the brews????

"Let the good times roll!!!!"

The Fighting Fish

My personal theory is that it is to do with the gangs of pick-pockets.

They have become so wealthy that they can afford to hire helicopters to buzz certain areas and distract their victims. So next time you look up at one of the whirlybirds make sure you keep a hand on your wallet and your mobile phone. smile.gif

Let's be careful out there folks......

I have noticed that as well. Watched what turned out to be a practice assualt for the King of Brunei from my office window last month.

My personal opinion is the Thai army actually got some helicopters running and the US has given them some money to really use them.

Quite a bit of activity at the secret place at the corner of Sathorn Soi 1.

TH

Archived