Land ownership: Por Bor Tor 5

think_too_mut

as far as i know it's land papers one level below full ownership papers. you can sell it, and take loans on it. you should ask though how long it will take until it gets uplifted to the full "chanoot". still, it's very good papers.

but don't quote me on it, i might be wrong.

"Below the Chanott and N.S.3.. title there are a host of other forms of land claim document such as the Sor. Kor. Nung (S.K.1)., the Tor. Bor. Tor. Hoc. (T.B.T.6) and the Tor. Bor. Tor. Ha.(T.B.T.5.). These rights are essentially a form of squatter or settlers claim which has been filed with the district office and upon which a small fee has been paid. Unlike the Chanott and N.S.3.. it is neither possible to register a sale or lease over these land rights, nor will a bank accept them for collateral and most importantly you cannot apply for (or obtain approval to) build on such land."

http://www.phuketland.com/gaz/index.htm

Bahnawk;

I added the next paragraph of the same story you pasted as it is relevant to the original question, hope you don't mind

Cont....

In certain circumstances based on the length of the claim and the use to which the land has been put, it is possible to upgrade these land claims to N.S.3. or Chanott title. The steps involved in such an application and the number of government department required to approve such an application (where such approval is often discretionary) is however quite daunting and most definitely not recommended to anyone with out the best of connections at the district, provincial and (in many cases) national level.

Racha's thought's,

The guy writing those rules is correct as rules go but would seem to be mainly warning buyers, as lots of local people have these tor bor tor type land papers and do build houses, run businesses and grow crops on the land, they also trade leases as well as sell the land in hard times to influential buyers who can sort out the necessary paper work to upgrade to nor sor sam kor, In Phuket it has been difficult to upgrade these land papers since the last land scandal brought down the democrat's government, though still not impossible. This type of land would not give a farang much rights so Think_To_Much...think to much what you do !!

Thanks guys,

The family had to pay the sum of 50k (just edited my post, it was me who gave the money) and there was no receipt nor contract (I am being told by her) - all is being held in the notary office and can be seen at any time.

A long way from where the matter (from what she is telling me) officially stands to manipulating her own property at her own will.

What she's got is a 38 baht per year fee document ("small fee") that they have a deed on, in her name. Nothing else to show.

As where my rights stand, we all know who can own the land.

Now, with this sort of land ownership, forget about my rights, not even them have a full control of the land. And they are eager to build on it...myself more than involved.... ahem...

If you want to be able to exercise control over further investment in the property a lease agreement between you and your wife, assuming she is named on the land document, is an option you should consider.

Though it is so very hard to actually own the land in the case of a farang (and often Thais themselves) there appears to be no problem with ownership of improvements on the land and this is where a good lease agreement may give you peace of mind and give a lawyer some ammunition if the going gets tough. 50K for the initial land purchase is only a small amount compared to improvements you will likely make.

Archived