Movies that remind you of LOS

cronkdoldt

So... do you ever get this feeling of a strong sense of deja vu when you're watching a movie and it reminds you of LOS? I don't mean 'The Beach' or 'Deer Hunter' or anything directly Thai-related. I mean movies about something else, but that still set off your LOS-alarms. For example:

Some Like it Hot

The scenes in the dressing room where the girls are walking around blithely unclothed while (in disguise) Jack Lemon's and Tony Curtis' eyes are bugging out - straight out of my first trip to a restroom in a BKK gogo bar.

My Fair Lady

Several levels... the phonetic training reminds me of my girlfriend trying to clue me into the subtleties of tones: "The khai's of gai are khai'd mainly by KHRAI?!" There are also lots of scenes of Audrey Hepburn resisting Higgen's efforts to drive the street waif out of her for the sake of proper appearances in higher society. Much the same feeling I get when taking a cluster of bargirls cosmic bowling.

Blade Runner

This one works backwards - BKK night areas reminded me of the street scenes right from the beginning. There's also the element of 'is she or isn't she' wrt to Rachael; substitute 'katoey' for 'replicant'.

Alice in Wonderland

"Eat this, don't ask". Mealtime in the girlfriend's village, general weirdness everywhere, but nobody seeming to mind.

Man of La Mancha

Older dreamer guy projects ladyhood on other-than-ladylike bar girl. Windmills are tilted at.

Mutiny on the Bounty

The crew just wants to be friendly with the natives, but the Blighs of the world (insert modern equivalents here) want to spoil the fun.

Freaks

Just walk down Sukhumvit any evening after 9pm. "Gooble gobble, gooble gobble - one of us, one of us!"

From Dusk Till Dawn

Two words - Titty Twister

Any other movies?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My trollmeter is in the red here............

Why, is it losing money?

Time to recalibrate that meter, BelgianBoy.

Another movie:

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: Ingrid Bergman plays a hot barmaid, who sometimes turns tricks if she likes a guy. Spencer Tracy (as Dr. Jekyll), helps her on the street one night and she makes it clear she likes him. Her reaction when he declines her offer is *exactly* like that of the gals outside Thermae if you chat with them for a few minutes and decide to move on.

Some Like it Hot

The curtained bunks along the 2nd class coaches on overnight trains

Blade Runner

You mean "replicunts"

Goodfellas

The scene where the gangsters' wives (prostitutes) get together

Les Enfants du Paradis

"C'est tellement cher l'amour"

The Maltese Falcon

Our hero drugged and rolled

Duck Soup

Well... duck soup (with rice noodles)

Casablanca

Except I'm the one getting on the plane.

The Producers

"Would you believe it ? I met her in a public library !"

A Double-O Seven Movie

"Hi, I'm Pookie Midnite".

"The namesh Bond, Jamesh Bond: Lishenshed to feel".

Difficile est non satiram scribere

Guest lazyphil

Apocalypse Now

CORMAN

"Let's see what we have here... roast beef and...,

usually is not bad. Try some Jerry, pass it around.

Save a little time when we'll pass both ways. [color:red]Captain,

I don't know how you feel about this shrimp, but if you'll

eat it, you never have to prove your courage in any

other waycolor=red> ... I'll take a piece here ..."

You have forgotten the classic "The World of Suzie Wong". The Foreigner that falls for the bar girl, the secret baby at home, the friend who screws you BG 'cause you have had a falling out with her. The Girls in the bar! The BG wanting to be like a western girl.

I have never seen a movie so close to the real plot. Scary.

Archived