Marrying TG does she adopt groom's surname?

voodoo31

Is it usual in Thailand for the lady to adopt the man's surname after marriage? And what about children do they get the men's name?

Just wondering how it worked for you guys married to Thai girls and living in Thailand? I imagine if you took the permanently back to the west they would follow the western norm of the wife taking the man's surname and the children being given that surname.

But what about it Thailand? Or does the girl just keep her Thai name and do the children just get the Thai girls surname?

Think I'm right in saying it's pretty standard for the girl to change her surname to her husbands. In my case wife would not have wanted it any other way. When we started doing stuff as a married couple, things like where you need to show proper marriage cert etc, they (authorities) wanted her to get her ID card changed as well. Then when we travel they (authorities) want her passport changed to match too. My take on this is that it's pretty much a legal obligation, in fact I think there is a statement on the back of the marriage certificate that states the woman must go get her ID card changed within so many days.

When our daughter was born the Thai birth certificate shows her having my surname. Kind of natural since my wife already uses it anyway. Same same on her UK birth cert, both passports, blah blah blah.

Hope this helps.

M.

When I married my ex she got my surname, but also kept her old one as a "middle name". Just in case a situation arose where she would benefit from that.

When it comes to children I believe having a farang surname has advantages outside of Thailand. The opposite might be the case in Thaland, so why not keep 2 also.

Cheers!

"but also kept her old one as a "middle name"

When my wife went upcountry to get new ID and change house registration to married name, I suggested she do this. she had never heard of doing that, but was willing to ask if she could have "middle" name. The answer was no. Everyone in that district only has 2 names and that was that.

laugh.gif

TH

She has to change her ID card. Funny that my wife did that at her Amphur and they took my TWO family names (at my country we use to have father's and mother's family name) then now she has a very long name.

We have been told to do not change her passport, the reason is because the marriage certificate and translations reflect her old name, then better keep the passport with that one just in case we have any problem if we decide to go to live to my country. The authorities there will only check her passport.

"When my wife went upcountry to get new ID and change house registration to married name, I suggested she do this. she had never heard of doing that, but was willing to ask if she could have "middle" name. The answer was no. Everyone in that district only has 2 names and that was that"

I don't know how she fixed it in Thailand, but she got it into her Thai passport. When we moved to my country things here were based on the registration in Norway.

Cheers!

Hello cq20

Thanks for the infor. My TG wanted to change her last name to mine once we got married. She has a daughter prior to to our relationship and my question is does the daughter has to change her last name to mine also. I have all the intentions to adopt this little girl. Thanks

p.s. her daughter is currently carries my TG's last name.

voodoo,

"Is it usual in Thailand for the lady to adopt the man's surname after marriage? "

It is not only usual, it is the law in Thailand that the wife must take the husband's surname.

I married my Thai wife in the USA. She has not changed her surname to mine, but she may need to one day if she needs to get any of her Thai documents renewed.

We have a female Thai friend who has been in the USA for 30 years after coming as a fiancee back in 1971. She married, divorced, married again, and recently divorced again. She now wants to return to Thailand to visit. In order to renew her long expired passport, the Thai embassy in the US required her to submit 4 applications for name changes to reflect her marital history. Charging a fee for each name change. Even though she's now back with the name she was born with!

Regards, JEff

I think it's understood that the wife will have to change her name, either abandoning her original family name or keeping it as a middle name, probably depends on the local amphur office as to whether or not they will allow that.

Your question about the child is interesting, I just asked my wife, she says, can do but not easy. I think this is more to do with the fact that you have to go through the adoption process to get this and that is the most awkward part. She said there is only one place to go get this done, and it's somewhere in Bangkok. Afriend of hers wanted to do exactly what you are proposing but in true Thai fashion gave up because it was too much hassle.

Think you need to find someone who has already done this, I'll bet there's more than one on this board.

M.

Hi Cq20,

Thanks for your infor. A little bit more detail about my situation. My TGF lived with a Thai male for about 3 years but never married or have any legal documents with him. They splitted three years ago after the girl was born. The little girl carried this Thai male's last name at the time of her birth.

After we met and as our relationship developed, I asked her to change the baby's last name to her last name, which she did with no problem. The procedure was quite simple. She and the her ex-boy friend met at the court house and go through some sorts of interview. He rendered no objection to her request and the girl's last name was changed on the same day.

I have a good friend who works for the INS. He advised that I can bring both my TG and her baby to the States under the K-1 vias without any problem. We will get marry in the States. Like I mentioned in the previous posting, I have all the intentions to adopt this little girl. If the Thai laws are so complicate as you mentioned, then I will try to adopt the girl here in the US. Do you foresee any problem with this route? The only thing I could think of is that the girl natural father might have to apprear in the US adoption court and the cost that involves.

Do you think so? Thanks for all advice.

CSM

Archived