Bangkok Flooded!?

Straycat

I don't know about you, but here where I live in Klong Toey it doesn't look too good today.

It has rained for about 8 hrs straight. There is now, as far as I can see, water from ankle height up to about the height of a car wheel everywhere. Traffic moves extremely slow and most cabbies seems to have parked their cars.

There are folks with unwanted water in their living rooms as I speak (I can see how they shove water out from their homes).

It also seems the port area is flooded -- but I'm not a 100 on that as I can only see a fragment of the Klong Toey port from my apartment. What I'm sure of though is that the nearby klong is filled to the brink and won't be able to take much more water frown.gif

I don't think there is an immediate danger but it's definately the worst I've seen though during my 1,5 years in Krung Thep. frown.gif

Straycat

Agreed - Its damn wet out there today. I drove up to Bangkok from Pattaya at 6.00AM this morning and wish I had never bothered.

What is it about pick-up truck drivers that whenever it rains, they go even faster and with less consideration than before?

All the roads are flooded - even expressways are hopeless. Keep of the roads if you can, although I had to snigger as I saw a Thai Airways Merc sitting on Sukhumvit with 3 passengers, going towards the airport I bet. The water was Above the door sill and they were not looking in a relaxed frame of mind given that they were not moving anywhere fast.

As I look out of my office window I can see that everywhere around Robinson on Sukhmuvit Soi 19 is under water, probably about 4 inches and the fire brigade are at Top's supermarket which must be flooded judging by the water coming of of the hosepipes onto the street.

Definately a day to stay in and order a pizza and a home delivery massage....

Sukhumvit near Thong Lor (Soi 49) is flooded as well. First time I have seen that in the 18 months I have lived here. Traffic on suk towards Thong Lor extremely congested but there is only a light stream of cars heading towards the Emporium. There appears to be 6-8 inches of water on the road which is down a lot from where it was 2 hours ago. It is not raining now and hope it stops to give people a chance to protect their homes.

I went to BKK for the weekend and jezus I never saw this much water.

I went by train and before arriving in BKK I passed Ayutthaya and saw a lot of damage caused by the flood. People were litterally living on the rails in special traincompartements prepared for them.

In BKK it usually takes me 30 minutes and 60 Baht to get home.....now it only took me 2 hours and 150 Baht.

It's a rerun of 7 years ago. Severe flooding all over the place

Some people got pissed off with having their properties sacrificed to save other areas and eventually broke apart some of the sandbag embankments flooding huge areas of BKK.Pinklao was in water up to my waist The river embankments had sandbags 2 foot high and the water was still lapping at the top.In the next few days the papers will start going on abouth the record height of the river and you all get to learn the phrase Nam Thuem.

My house had 3-4 inchhes of water in it 3 days ago and that was with them doing all the drainage in the area just a few months ago. Lad Prao, Viphawadi_Rangsit.

As I look out the window of my office.

I see the water is slowly going down.

Maybe in two hours I might be able to wade across the street to get home....

Getting here this morning was a blast!

DD

Just to add my 2 satang worth - Sukhumvit Soi 1 became the Soi 1 river this morning (Mon.). The water covered the sidewalks. As I crossed the centre of the road, the water came up to my knees at its deepest point (approx. 30 to 40 cm). Traffic was very light on the road, likely due to the risk of flooding out car engines.

Harlequin

I sure didn't hit any of the streets that had light traffic ! Only floods and cars everywhere.

Sarasin / Wireless / Luang Suan and Rajadamri all flooded. Rama 4 outbound was not so bad all things considered. At least is wasn't flooding. Quick onramp to the expressway and it would not be so bad.

Outbound expressway was a parking lot. Now what to do ?

Exits at Port or Art Narong were backed up for kilometers.

Decided to try Suk 62 and come back into town. Didn't make it. Water seeping into the car. Those back sois just end up being rivers with the all walls and gates keeping the water in the sois. I'm lucky that the car's engine didn't give out. What a mess.

Ended up back to the Expressway (inbound) from Soi 62, over to the Art-Narong Expressway, exit on Phattanakarn, illegal U-Turn, and back on the Art-Narong Expressway, off at Suk 50. By this time it was almost 11:30 so stopped off at Lotus Soi 50 for lunch.

Finally made it to the office at 12:00, 3 hours after I left home ! At least I stayed dry.

I'm not looking forward to getting home tonight.

Cheers from wet (but drying quickly) Bangkok.

Archived