Suprise - My BG does not want my money!

kamui

Haven't you ever heard of a "con", or a "confidence trick"? They don't take the first available opportunity to make their move, but lull you into their trust and confidence over time before they strike.

I suppose you could take this attitude with everyone, but not a very great way to live. You could go though your entire life waiting for the hammer to drop, and what if it never did? Still, being weary of what a BG says is a good idea unless you know her very well.

I have a ex-GF who I met in a bar. We broke up about 6 months ago. She has not returned to working bar. Yet, anyway. I do care about this girl so shortly after we broke up I offered to 'loan' her 50K baht (which would in realilty probably be a gift and we both knew that) to help her start a small business. She refused, and hasn't ever asked for anything from me since. Strange as it seems for girls who go with guys for money, it's not all about the money.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@think_too_mut

"Would the original poster have access to the girl when he please, would she drop a paying customer for him, would she break 10 days Phuket tour with a customer to return back to see him...

Maybe, but the money has to be there, she needs it. Even if she would be with him for x-1 or for free, he should not forget why she is where she is... "

No, I don´t belong to the people who think that I will have something for free. In contrary, I think if I want more from her I have to give her money on regular base. She has to make her living and she has to support her child and for this she does a hard job, IMHO.

If I would have a girlfriend with a child in my home country, I likely would to support her too. (I just saw a report on TV, having a child in my country is the shortest way to poverty).

I posted my surprise, because I wasn´t sure what to think about it. I think she is a honest girl (don´t blame me for this wink.gif), but of course the reactions on the board reminded me to keep my eyes wide open.

For the farang, it is safe enough to remember why his girl has/had to work in bars, and that LOS is for 80% of his population, a poor country.

I have been in Thailand for well over ten years, and have met a lot of BG's in that time. From my observations, I would have to disagree with you on the main reason most of the girls work in the bars. It is not because they are "poor", but largely because 1) they are greedy, and 2) they are lazy.

There are millions and millions of Thai girls working and surviving quite well by world standards doing "normal" jobs, and contrary to popular opinion these jobs are NOT hard to come by. If you can read Thai, you will see "help wanted" signs all over the place.

If poverty were the reason, 3/4 of the world's population would be selling their bodies.

On the contrary, most girls choose to work in the bars because they want to get rich without working hard. Knowing this should give you a great deal of insight into their character.

PvtDick,

"most girls choose to work in the bars because they want to get rich without working hard"

My gf must be an exception then.

From age 13 to 20 she worked with daddy in his rice field, from 21 to 32 she worked as a cleaning lady in farang houses with her sister to pay first for the parents house, then the kitchen, then the water pump, then something else (5.000baht/month for the parents x2)

September 1st 2001 a friend persuaded her she could make "big money working bar" to take care of parents and find farang husband to solve all her problems. She had 10k baht on her bank account that day.

18th november 2001 was her last day in bar, she had 1k baht left. Yeah, the right way to get rich.

25 trips to LOS don't give me the impression you try to picture here. But you might be right, it's probably not because of poverty they are selling their bodies, there are other reasons, slavery e.g.?

On the contrary, she does not sound like an exception at all. She got into the bar business because she was told she could make "big money".

Yet, was she starving before? No clothes to wear? Living on the streets?

No -- she was an ordinary Thai person. But she wanted more, so she decided to sell herself in a bar. And some do get rich that way. Some get taken away to wonderland by Prince Charming.

But the vast majority end up no better than they were before, mostly because they squander what they do make on clothes, make-up, gold chains, lottery tickets, mobile phones, and Thai boy-toys.

I cannot tell you how many normal Thais I know, in normal jobs with normal salaries, who do make ends meet and are satisfied with their lives. It takes either a very strong greed or very strong need to make a person with any self-respect sell their bodies. I still say that, for the vast majority of BG's, it is the former.

"No -- she was an ordinary Thai person. But she wanted more, so she decided to sell herself in a bar"

Correction: Her parents wanted more, so she decided to sell herself in a bar.

"It takes either a very strong greed or very strong need to make a person with any self-respect sell their bodies"

People do strange things under pressure, such as killing your neighbour (Cambodia, Burundi)

I know that nobody believe my story on this board. When i met my GF and felt in love with her i was stupid enough to give her 300,000 Baht so she can finish build her house. She told me that on one day she will gave it me back. But i was in love

and you know what i mean.

After that i stood 6 month in my Country with phoning daily to her. After my return

to LOS i was very surprised. She gave me all my money back.!!! Not one Bath was gone. My money was always in her bankaccount. She told me that she felt unwell for that fact that i gave her such a big sum after we were only one week together.

(In the meantime i felt very unwell to for my act of course). She became the money in the meantime from her parents. After she gave me my money back her sister told to her that she was stupid to give it back to me.

But she told me that not every Thai lady make same dirty games. I told her that nobody only my friends will believe it. And she told me that she knowing that.

Maybe because shes not a bargirl?

Also another amazing one is that she visit my country but not want to stay for years. (Most girls having only this dream to going to Europe, US) She has her house and big plants so why she should stay in a frustration cold country?

And to end this story of course we are still together.

You probably live in BKK, and hardly visit slums and take a real interest in what life around the country for most of thai people is like, economically. A lot easier to pass judgement on them, and assume patronizingly that they are lazy and greedy on one side, and paid quite enough to live a "normal life" on the other (what is world standard , BTW?). the problem is, how many rich BGs do you know? Have you enquired how much the jobs on offered in signs pay? If prostitution was a huge industry as it is in Thailand, propped up for decades by officialdown and greed for tourism, poor women in other countries would also enter it. I find your comments lack a proper understanding of the forces at work, and knowledge about prostitution but also work conditions in Thailand for the less favored. Sorry, I just do not feel you care that much about thai people to avoid the usual farang rant about "lazy" and "quite enough".

Hi,

Most of my Thai friends (in Thailand) and my family seem to have similar opinion like yours on the BGs. It is incredible that some families have all their daughters working but still not better than they were before, and still are demanding the money from the children.

?But the vast majority end up no better than they were before, mostly because they squander what they do make on clothes, make-up, gold chains, lottery tickets, mobile phones, and Thai boy-toys. ?

This behavior is beyond me, perhaps these women want to live a litle and do not care how long they stay in the industry or they actually like it?

"There are millions and millions of Thai girls working and surviving quite well by world standards doing "normal" jobs, "

I am glad to see that too in Thailand, most of them don't make as much as the girls in Bangkok, but it is ok and they are not hungry.

Overall, I wish I could understand the motivation besides being poor, thanks for sharing what you have observed.

Regards,

Jasmine

Archived