your street stall pick of the week

pattaya127

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the mouth of Sukhumvit 38 there are several evening into late night/early morning stalls where the grub is diverse and good, albeit 5 - 15 baht more expensive than your other run of the mill street stalls.

And if you're one of the few souls, who ever so happens to be in the are of Sukhumvit 4 after midnight, there is a stall that occasionally serves up some of the best masuman curry with a big leg of chicken so tender the meat just falls off the bone. The stall is on the main road between Soi Nana and the Ploenchit center.

And ne'er you forget, during the day on sukhumvit 71, up the road a bit, right infront of the "rak-baan" convenience store (formerly am-pm) there is an older lady cooking some awesome grilled chicken. I usually pass on the somtam and just get a few pieces of chicken. And right across the street, there stands a young guy with some of the best 'kao man gai' around. Good luck catching him though. He's not exactly on a fixed schedule.

Can I recommend one NOT to eat at? The fucker serving up curries above the Thermae gave me the worst dose of food poisoning I have ever had in May 2001 and worse still I had to fly bkk to london with the shits, vomits and hot and cold sweats!

Cheers

Jaga

Good recommendations! It seems you frequent the same spots as I do. Also, I'd recommend the pad thai only stand in front of the mosque at Sukhumvit 71. Very, very yummy! Not a food stall per se, since you dine indoors but 'the kitchen' is right on the curb

For noodles, I really like the one made by the couple outside of 7-11, Rama IV--Sukhumvit 36. Easily my favorite of all -- and I sometimes find myself going a long way only to pick up a noodle soup from here. But, in the corner of Silom & Convent Rd there is also a very decent noodle stand...

As for the guys running the shop upstairs from Thermae -- I dunno. They don't seem to appreciate farang much. I even got scammed by them once (incredibly overcharged for a couple of bottles Beer Chang). That was a long time ago however when they had their food at offer where that newish beer bar / pool place is. I'm not sure they sell alcohol nowadays.

P127's original question: Nah, I really don't have any stories. When you speak as appalling Thai as I do, you really don't interact much with the people running the food stalls :)

Point & Eat! :)

Straycat

Not sure if you are refering to the vendor around the back past the dunnies or the one on the street out front of thermae but I got really ill from the one on the street last xmas. I was warned by a bg that it wasn't clean but of course i thought i new better.

OK ...

Mine is Starbuck's near Sukhumvit Soi 33. I say "Grande Caramel Machiato - Krap" and he say <a bunch of mumbo jumbo in Japanese> and I say "I come every week and I tell you before .... I'm not Japanese. I no understand!!!" ... and he goes "you Japanese Jing Jing" me ... "Mai Chai" ... and so on.

Another day in the life of The Ippun Man ::

Archived