your street stall pick of the week

pattaya127

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My two favorites may be long gone by now. Both were in Kata/Karon.

1) this guy from Isaan used to drive one of those motorcycle driven carts in the early evening around Kata and Karon. His customers were almost exclusively Thai.

He made fantastic yum nem. For those who have never tried this it is shredded cured pork skin mixed with fried rice patties, peanuts, dried chilis, ginger, scallions, cilantro, and lime juice eaten wrapped in padantus (sp?) leaves.. It is a great snack when made well, but might give you a bad case of food poisoning if unclean.

My friend and I were two of his very few farang customers. Used to draw amazing looks when we would rush over to buy some yum nem. The looks turned to laughter as he would greet us with delight and explain that farang like Isaan food too. Fairly unusual in Phuket.

One night we returned late from the dive shop where we both worked to find he had already come and gone. We drove around for about half an hour until we found him down by Kata Yai beach. This time he was amazed that we actually came looking for him.

2) There used to be a couple who would set up a little pad thai stand on the corner of the beach road and the main street through Kata center. They usually set up about 11PM or later and stayed open until 5 or 6 in the morning. It wasn't the best pad thai but it was the absolute balls when returning from the bars at the wee hours with a craving for food.

If we were out in Patong I would start to crave their pad thai by the time I'd crest the hill over Karon beach. A quick check of the Karon beer bars as we passed by just in case they were closed. Reach the top of the hill heading for Kata center and it was either time to stuff our faces or turn around and drown our sorrows. Damn I miss that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not ex-pat, but my favourite street stall is the noodle stall at the bottom of soi 5. I've also had some interesting conversations with fellow diners of all nationalities.

BTW, I narrowly missed a heavy dose of food poisoning on my last day in LOS recently. We had a meal in the open-air eatery in Soi 7 along with my sanuking friend who loves fish. He had a severe dose of food poisoning and had to go to Bumangrad Hospital for treatment. Fortunately for him and me, he wasn't flying out at the same time.

My favourite street stalls are the ones that grill cuttlefish over coals, the best one I found was about 100 metres to the left of Patpong 1 as you look at it, probably gone now...

Cheers

I can't edit my sig...

• 2 weeks later...

in central road Pattaya on the corner of soiAR there is a lady who sells grilled chook, come home pissed one night bought some chook went to eat it once i got home only to have wifey jump out of bed and inspect it first, lucky for me cause it was alive with maggots , maybe they are related to your friends at the Thermae??????? :p

• 2 weeks later...

HEY ,its the same girl .Also use to rent or own the bar opposite lucky lukes, where big dogs is.I thought she was doing ok, I like the big old fat sheila outside bus stop,khor kha moo gup khai,sai narm yer yer. Sai gong gap barn na khap pee. kai dee mai khap,cow bok kai dee took one ja

In Thonburi across the river there's plenty of fine food stalls , but at River City before you even cross over there's also great stalls ! I lived in Thonburi for awhile and was introduced to some great little street stalls ! Being a vegetarian in Thailand can be quite a challenge . Thais are not very familiar with this eating habit ? When you tell them you're a veg-head you are met with confused looks ! And it's even more difficult for them to understand that you don't eat eggs either ! " Mungsaw-wirat mai kai " spoken very gutturally hopefully will do the job but most often It's hard for them to comprehend this idea ? You can see that they are confused as to why anyone would not want to eat their huge array of crawling edibles ? But there is a wonderful Bhuddist vegetarian restaurant in Thonburi that is owned and operated by a delightful Thai family that is without doubt my favorite eating place in all of Thailand ! These people have developed a process whereby they can produce pure vegetarian chicken , pork , and beef that looks , smells , feels and tastes like the real thing ! As a matter of fact I recall the first time I was served their fake chicken I thought they were playing a weird game and had indeed fed me real chicken . After their utter assurances that it was pure vegatarian fare I was finally convinced and sat back to enjoy the rest of my fine meal ! It turns out that this young Thai couple invented their process together in University and then decided to try their hand at helping fellow vegetarians sit down to tasty nutritious food . Their menu is pure veg and they offer a huge variety of delectibale soups , salads and main courses ! And not only do they offer a great menu but they also adhere to a strict Bhuddist philosophy which they are happy to share with their customers . I look forward to visiting their digs in Thonburi next month !

In Thonburi across the river there's plenty of fine food stalls , but at River City before you even cross over there's also great stalls ! I lived in Thonburi for awhile and was introduced to some great little street stalls ! Being a vegetarian in Thailand can be quite a challenge . Thais are not very familiar with this eating habit ? When you tell them you're a veg-head you are met with confused looks ! And it's even more difficult for them to understand that you don't eat eggs either ! " Mungsaw-wirat mai kai " spoken very gutturally hopefully will do the job but most often It's hard for them to comprehend this idea ? You can see that they are confused as to why anyone would not want to eat their huge array of crawling edibles ? But there is a wonderful Bhuddist vegetarian restaurant in Thonburi that is owned and operated by a delightful Thai family that is without doubt my favorite eating place in all of Thailand ! These people have developed a process whereby they can produce pure vegetarian chicken , pork , and beef that looks , smells , feels and tastes like the real thing ! As a matter of fact I recall the first time I was served their fake chicken I thought they were playing a weird game and had indeed fed me real chicken . After their utter assurances that it was pure vegatarian fare I was finally convinced and sat back to enjoy the rest of my fine meal ! It turns out that this young Thai couple invented their process together in University and then decided to try their hand at helping fellow vegetarians sit down to tasty nutritious food . Their menu is pure veg and they offer a huge variety of delectibale soups , salads and main courses ! And not only do they offer a great menu but they also adhere to a strict Bhuddist philosophy which they are happy to share with their customers . I look forward to visiting their digs in Thonburi next month ! Chock Dee !

Hi there,

I know this may sound a little dense, but if you are a vegetarian, why would you want to eat something that tastes like chicken, pork or beef?

Isn't that a bit like not drinking alcohol but swilling bourbon or whiskey flavoured refreshments?

Am I missing something, or do you miss the meat?

"...if you are a vegetarian, why would you want to eat something that tastes like chicken, pork or beef?"

That's the same with me and that Near Beer stuff they've got in the U.S. Why not drink the real stuff?

Archived