Obnoxious Touts

Sarisin

This subject seems to come up frequently during any discussion about the 'pong.

However, last night I had a rather unpleasant experience with a tout outside a bar in Soi Cowboy.

I was walking from the Asoke side and was approached by a rather dumpy looking lady touting for a small bar. She simply stood in my way and blocked my path.

I smiled, said 'no thanks,' and tried to walk around her. She grabbed on to my waist and more or less swung me around.

First off, I don't like being touched by any touts - even aggressive ladies. Second, she would not take no for an answer. And, third, she pulled a move that almost cost her a few teeth.

She grabbed the bag I was carrying (loaded with toys of course :)) and pulled it hard, breaking the strap. And, that was not enough. She reached out and grabbed my arm and gave it one of those nasty pinches that still shows a mark today.

All because I wanted to walk down the soi past her bar.

I thought about going into the bar she was touting for and saying something, but what?

As I was in a hurry to meet someone, I just barged my way past her (prompting a string of epithets) and moved on.

You expect this sort of crap in Patpong, but now Soi Cowboy too?

Any similar experiences?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Any similar experiences'

None that bad.I usually push them agressively and sometimes abuse them in thai if they're too pushy.I'm about 88 Kgs pretty lean so it may help.

I despise most of the touts BTW

Hi Mr S

Not so annoying if the pest is goodlooking, but so often they are as you describe. I don't like the patpong guys who poke you in the ribs with their 'menus'.

The worst are the hangers on who just won't let go, not only outside bars either. There is a guy upstairs at the back of Panthip who grabs my arm every time I walk past thinking that his grip will convince me to buy 'dirty movie' from his stall.

My favourite hate touts are on soi 15, there is a tailors and a bag shop there. last visit I almost lost it when going past the tailors, the little indian tout held onto my arm and would not let go, this is after I had previously asked him not to bother me as I was not interested in his shop. In the end I resorted to walking down the other side of the soi.

Best thing I can think of on SC with a persistent tout who won't let go is to slowly step on her foot with a big smile! -peter

I also hate being touched by touts. Talk is fine, the occaisional blocking of a path OK, but once it progresses to grabbing, holding on, and what happened to you, thats, well, totally unacceptable.

I was approached on the BTS today on my way to a job interview. I was carrying a brand new, rather expensive laptop in a bag. As I was waiting for the train a guy started the 'hello friend' approach and eventually placed his hand on my shoulder, just atop the strap to my computer. I almost pushed him on the track. Now granted if I didn't have the laptop I probably wouldn't have been as touchy but he ignored my 'Khow Taut Khop" and followed me as I moved away, twice. At that point I gave him a really hard look and just kept moving towards him forcing him to move closer to the track.

I expect the touts to get worse as the bali blast and warnings are going to cut into the tourism dollar and make the whole tout force of thailand a little hungrier.

The worst tout in the BKK area is the pencil thin, boyish looking nut salesman named 'Lu Babbu'. He is downright infuriating.

Tell me the name of the bar where it happened. I'll bet anything it was on soi 23, just before the entrance to the cowboy and a little after the 7-11, just past the noodle cart. They are really aggressive there towards me lately.

I appreciate the perspective. much needed. I will go out immediately and enjoy myself to no end. When a tout approaches me I will pretend to speak german, smile, and when he/she is gone I will raise my singha to your much needed comment.

Says Man at Work:

Wellll, this sure sounds bad.

But even worse if you are sitting in rainy Krautland, still having 57 days to go and WISHING any tout would come along! So dont complain guys, you have it gooooooood!

::

Now MOW, that just sounds like green eyed jealousy to me and I'm not going to get back to BKK till January now!!!

Taipan

Taunusstrasse in Frankfurt is loaded with touts and cheap girls.Reeperbhan is buzzin almost evey evening.Jeez!You\re in Germany not Afghanistan.Go out and get a couple of birds!

Archived