XP/Thai fonts

Old Hippie

No problem with thai fonts, readin and writin.

Some very good things about XP. Reboots quickly and GREAT for photo stuff. It can finally figure out that #11 does not go in between #1 and #2.

Problems are that not all hardware/software works, even when it says it will (my camera download program, and web cam) and drivers that disappear from time to time (printer). Also using USB hubs may not work with all devices and may cause the PC to crash.

If mine hadn't been vitually free, I woulda finally gone mac.

Kinda where I'm at. I got this old computer PII from a dear friend, who thought I should discover the internet...so now I'm hooked. I started with windows 95, went to 98, then ME, now back to 98. Sort of tired of all the quirks etc...that windows seems to have, and the viruses! Everything I read tells me MAC is a more stable operating system, so now I just have to decide, and come up with more money! MACs anin't cheap!! :)

Oh, where did you get your Thai keyboard for your MAC? I'm told the one I have now may not work on a MAC, or with XP...

Says Old Hippie:

Oh, where did you get your Thai keyboard for your MAC? I'm told the one I have now may not work on a MAC, or with XP...

I don't have a mac ???? Yours will work fine for XP. The OS has no idea what is happening with the keyboard symbols. I got the one I use now mail order from Thailand. Less that $15 including shipping and too a few weeks. But yes, cheaper in Pantip, but I didn't want to put all the keys back on after the Eva luggage handlers played takraw with my bags.

I must say XP is quite a bit more stable, but will it remain so as software is added? Don't know.

OH,

It works just fine .

The vanilla XP does not come with Thai font preinstalled.

The trick is - it will never work unless you install support for Japanese and Korean (!).

Then, you have to configure a switch key: to switch from US to Thai font, a grave accent key "`" and to switch between US and Thai keyboard "Left Shift - Alt".

Saying that your default font is US, you can switch to Thai when you need it.

Forgot it - all the software you need is already on the system, you just activate it.

One thing is - Thai keyboard mapping. You may pick some cheap kbd at Panthip and take it home. It will have both English and Thai labels on the keys. It's pain to label your kbd with markers or stickers.

Says old hippo:

Everything I read tells me MAC is a more stable operating system, so now I just have to decide, and come up with more money! MACs anin't cheap!!

The price difference is not so great when you compare a Mac to other branded computers like Dell, Compag/HP... In a nutshell the Intel computers have a higher clock speed, but the Macs come filled with software. One could go on ad nauseum about why one is better than the other, but it is kind of like arguing about 80's vintage BMWs or Japanese motorcycles.

You can find information about Thai language support here: google search

Here is a very clear resource for anyone who wants to know about unicode text:

Alan Wood?s Unicode Resources

Archived