Phuket Warning Now

Hamokhamok

this info was in the papers last saturday.

the crux of the matter was that the australian,norwegian,danish,swedish consulates put out a warning for their countrymen.

intelligence suggested an attack in thailand (phuket in particular) and urging their nationals to be vigilant or to come home.

guess what the british government did?.

suppressed the infomation and did'nt put it on the foreign office website or advertise it anywhere.

Most Western countries seem to be upping the security warnings for Thailand and Phuket in particular.

The British Foreign Office has issued a fresh warning to Britons visiting Thailand. It has said that NEW information suggests that the risk to British (read Westerners) people on the island of Phuket had 'increased significantly'.

The Australian Foreign Ministry has warned that Phuket was at a high risk of a terrorist attack.

The only advice they are giving is to be vigilant. :: Sounds like they are covering their arses.... so its not their fault if you ignore their warnings.

Saw the warnings about Phuket on Yahoo news. The combination of tourists, biz travelers and frequent US Navy visits does make it a prime target for Tangos (terrorists). My concern is Patong Beach and the concentration of people around Soi Bangla. I am heading back to LOS at the end of Nov. and have decided to avoid my favorite destination of Phuket and just enjoy Bangkok instead. My last trip in Sept. (to Phuket) I did notice a police roadblock southbound after crossing the bridge that connects Phuket to the mainland. I was in Phang Nga (excuse the spelling) for the afternoon and they were stoping mainly pick ups, vans and larger trucks. I think they were looking for weapons smugglers (arms going to Sri Lanka). Maybe it was a D.U.I. checkpoint or just checking for license and regist. Me, my gal and my Avis jeep rental were waived right through. I am not scared per say but after the Bali incident anything can happen. Just being cautious. I will go back to Phuket but probably in the low season.

"I think they were looking for weapons smugglers (arms going to Sri Lanka). "

HAHAHAHAHA!!! ::

The Thais are the weapons smugglers, but generally not to Sri Lanka. Try Cambo to Burma.

But what you saw surely was nothing like this, it was probably just another money making stop.

I'm on lamai beach on Ko Samui right now. Wow, it is really quiet! Yeah, high season has not started yet, but a few bar girls and locals have commented that there are fewer people than last year, and maybe it's because of the Bali bombing.

>>>Let's cross our fingers that nothing will blow up here in LOS.<<<

there is always something blowing up here.

we have so many bombs thrown by those terrorists that the media does not even report it anymore.

man, i can tell you, if that keeps on going like that, thailand will be just one huge big crater.

There has been bombs going off in the south for years,even yesterday they had a few going off down Yala way, local conflict as always, I am wondering when the foreign media will pick up on the latest ones and what damage it will do, As long as a bomb does not go off here in a tourist area or high profile place Thailand will survive the warnings,

The latest warnings had a few travelers worrying though Phuket is booked solid for the high season and people are on waiting lists to get there, The Thai government has issued a statement saying fair enough to warn the travelers as the situation is going on in the whole world and they need to warn there citizens, so in true Thai style the Thai government issued a warning to all Thai's traveling overseas to be careful while traveling due to the present situation. ;)

Archived