Phuket Warning Now

Hamokhamok

I've just had a look at the BBC website and couldn't find any new references to Phuket. The latest was 25th October with a quote from the Australian foreign minister which mentioned Phuket as a specific potential target.

Obviuously with a new spate of local bombs in the south everyone is very jumpy.

I hope that these various agencies that are issuing warnings are also trying to something about it. If they have specific information they must be working with local governments to prevent another bombing. Issuing warnings and hoping a local police present will act as a deterrent aint good enough.

If there is a bombing here in Thailand, will the Government, who appear to be in denial about a threat, blame the foreigners?

If there is a bombing here in Thailand, will the Government, who appear to be in denial about a threat, blame the foreigners?

I don't believe that they'll blame the foreigners in general but, they'll avoid - at least in public- to blame those who are really responsible 'cause they're afraid to rock the boat (minority problem in the South). Well let's hope that Thailand has no major incident like Indonesia.

Hi ,

This warning was on the British Foreign office web site today...

TERRORISM

There is an increased threat to British nationals and British interests from terrorism in South East Asia. Following the terrorist attacks in Bali on 12 October in which Western tourists were deliberately targeted, the threat to British nationals in Thailand, including popular tourist areas, the island of Phuket and the beach resort of Pattaya in particular, has increased significantly. British nationals should exercise extreme caution in public places, in particular places of entertainment such as nightclubs, bars, restaurants and places of worship known to be frequented by foreigners. All British institutions and businesses should reconsider their security arrangements. British and international schools should be especially vigilant.

Over past years there have been a series of minor bomb attacks and other violent incidents in the provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat in southern Thailand. Violent incidents and minor bomb attacks have continued from 2001 into 2002. They are not thought to be terrorist inspired, but the settling of local business differences. They are not aimed at foreigners, but there is a danger of being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Visitors to Thailand are advised to consider whether or not they should travel to, or through these areas.

Guest lazyphil

<<Radio 5 was talking about threats in Phuket all day yesterday on news bulletins>>

9/11 the public didn't have any knowledge of the attack. Bali same. Phuket EVERYONE knows the threat now. Maybe they'll move to an unsuspecting location. BTW in the Spanish Costas ETA have been active and people still go. What is the difference?

British nationals should exercise extreme caution in public places

:: What do they consider extreme caution ? It is very good of government's to offer such good advice to its nationals and then assume everyone knows what to do.

Assuming these terrorist threats are not just spiralling paranoia how would YOU spot the terrorist in a multi-national playground.

Ignoring the stereotypical tea-towel on the head and a kalishnikov under the arm what effing chance has the average sanuker high on Singha and the scent of pussy got of spotting a threat. ::

Bearing in mind Israel, which is the most security conscious country in the world with what is considered the best intelligence service around, cannot stop atrocities happening on an almost daily basis what chance have the Thai boys in brown, blue or black got of spotting let alone stopping such an act.

It might be naive but I believe that a healthy scepticism of governments offering advice (in order to protect themselves rather than you and I) and to some extent the current western propoganda on the Al Queda threat should bring a more balanced risk assessment.... Well thats my somewhat flawed justification for still travelling to LOS in December :D

i heard some of the reports on radio 5 and had to laugh.

interviewed the editor of the phuket gazette and she made a comment about not many backpackers visited phuket,mainly families and older men on their own.

she must have seen me walking down bangla one night

but seriousy though.

it's all very well for them to warn us to be vigilant and look out for strange people walking around.

by the time you have spent a couple of hours in various bars and having a couple of drinks and talking to the girls,all semblence disappears.

i have seen many strange people walking around,and the next day i realised they meant me.

who on this earth could have guessed anyone would park a bomb outside a bar and then blown it up,as in bali?.

Archived