Just finished with the Minor Wife

Actually, I just finished with Christopher Moore's Minor Wife -- the book that is.

Recommended reading for all from the newbies to the natives.

The novel's a real page turner with all the necessary ingredients -- murder, mystery, sex, love and money.

Various subplots keep the wheels turning as the tension builds. However, the ending was a bit disappointing as the story seems to get lost within all that is going on.

Look forward to reading the rest of the series on Calvino and crew.

I also glimpsed through "Hello My Big Big Honey" which IMHO is a very over-rated collection of boring bar stories.

Roppongi,

Thanks for the quickie review i may pick up a copy for a look. On the subject of disappointing endings I found Tea Money (Jake Needham) and A Killing Smile (Moore) to be good reads but a little lacking in the end. As for Yawn (Collin Piprell) it started well got a bit dull in the middle and then finished well. BIg Big Honey can be a tough read to get through but i think it has to be repetitive to drive home the message to first timers. But then again it all comes down to personal preference i suppose.

Thanks Fred, can you, or anyone, recommend a follow-up in the Calvino series? I'll ask your ol' mate UAL875 to pick up a few books for me on his next trip.

As for Big Big Honey, I didn't think it drove ANY point home, especially as a warning for newbies. Too much "I love you, miss you, can't live without you" crap from guys who new the girl for a day. The only interesting parts of the book were the bar girl/mama interviews, IMHO.

Have you read "Chairs" by Moore- thats also a good read, a fine selection of short stories - my favourite being the Thermae Waiter story.

God of Darkness is also good.

Trouble with Christophers books is that they often start and go well, but seem to fade at the end.

Big Mango was good but I agree Tea Money dull by comparison.

No I haven't read Chairs nor Big Mango. I'll try to get them. Thanks.

So do ALL Moore's books fade?

On a lighter note, I understand he's a Thermae regular. He'd stand out with that 30's gangster hat. Reminded me of the hitman in Untouchables who gunned down Sean Connery!

Sorry to take so long to get back here but I forgot i had posted here. I haven't even got as far as the Calvino series yet so can't recomend a follow up unfortunately. As for my old mate UAL875, he is a funny bugger. I think the reason I saw Big Honey as a warning for newbies is that when i arrived home after my first trip an experienced friend met me at the airport and gave me a copy of this book as if to say "all the stories and lines you have been told are common, she is not different and neither are you."

I also glimpsed through "Hello My Big Big Honey" which IMHO is a very over-rated collection of boring bar stories.
Big Big Honey has circulated through the Tokyo Trifecta (jp1, myself and Roppongi-san). I found it a bit dated, somewhat boring, and the colloquial nature of the letters did not help make it an easier read. I would opine that this board is more of a "must read" than BBH. Not the worst book to leaf through on a long flight I guess.

Chris is a good friend of mine, and, yes, we do get together occasionally in Thermae.

His new book is due in February. Last time I saw him in Thermae, I gave him plenty of shit because it is late and I wanted something to read on the long plane rides to/from Phila.

Yes, I did give him garbage about that 'Dick Tracy look' in the photo of Minor Wife. :)

PS. I recommend Chairs as well. Some good short stories in it. No Calvino, though.

Archived