How far is Issan??

Was just thinking about how far the girls travel to get to BKK from their "up country" homes...

Hours? Days?

Also, is Issan Farang friendly?

I've read a couple of posts here and there that mention nice experiences with that area and the girls there...

Just a thought!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Was just thinking about how far the girls travel to get to BKK from their "up country" homes...

Hours? Days?

I've read a couple of posts here and there that mention nice experiences with that area and the girls there...

Just a thought!"

Isaan starts at Korat (Nakorn Ratchima, sp?). Farang friendly or not? That question does not make so much sense to me, as it is like asking if central Thailand or north Thailand is farang friendly. Isaan = North east Thailand.

Cheers!

HS.

from my playground on Phuket it's a long journey for the girls.

one friend comes from Chaing Rai and was a 12 hour journey from HKT to BKK and the another 12 hours to CR.

i travelled from Nong Khai to BKK by bus and it was 12 hours again.

plane back to HKT,much better.

went from BKK to Nong Khai by overnight train and really impressed.

yes still 12 hours and more expensive then bus,but at least you get a bed for the night and to share it with the girl of your choice.

train stops at most of the major towns on the way.

have the timetable if you want it?.

----------------------------------

having been everywhere in Thailand, I can say Issan folks are the friendliest and the least interested. Not to put down any other regions, as there are a lot of friendliness around anywhere, but outside of the big Issan cities, reside the most genuine people of the land. Inversely, I found people in Lopburi rather indifferent and even a bit snotty. I went there many times, and hardly anyone ever addresses me. Great King Narai festival in February though....

i agree with your comments about Isaan people.

i only spent 2 nights there,but the hospitality i experienced was wonderful.

my girl was the only local who spoke reasonable english(well her sister was alright also).

but the friendliness was amazing.

2 things stick in my mind.

her father's many attempts to get me to join him and his buddies to spend hours sitting on the patio drinking Thai whiskey(i declined,stuck to Chang Beer).

the other thing was on the 2nd night,i decided to cook for her family.

people were amazed and my girl refused to believe could cook.

we went shopping and i started to cook and it seemed the whole village came to watch this funny white man cooking.

had to send out for more supplies 3 times,everyone wanted to try the falang's food.

i spent a happy 2 days there.

The longest journey I've heard of is Bangkok to Nakhon Phanom by bus: 24 hours!

Most major cities can be reached by train, which is my favourite mode of travel. Sleeper trains are available on the longer routes. Some of the cities have regular air sevices. The last two options are too expensive for many bar girls.

I agree about the friendliness of Isaan people. Vast majority cannot speak English. Some of the older folk have diificulty accepting that a foriegner may not be able to speak Thai or Lao.

There aren't many tourist destinations. These are some I've visited and enjoyed:

Nong Khai, Phu Kradung in Loei and Phanom Rung in Buri Ram.

Archived