Guacamole

rovineye

I don't believe I am waiting for my ride to the airport and my last post is on this topic.

Anyway, as the hijacked thread in nightlife brought up guac recipes and drifted into the dreaded mayo controversy. A big no-no for me, but up to you.

The last post was about cilantro in guac. I never add it for three reasons. First the cilantro darkens and wilts rapidly as there is not much liquids compared to say salsa. Also the cilantro can overpower the delicate avacado. Finally, cilantro can be added to what ever the guac is used for. I primarily use guac as a topping for chicken tortilla soup. I then sprinkle cilantro on top of the guac. Easier to control the amount of cilantro for each person's taste, and it is fresh looking and colorful. Same same for tacos.

Americas test kitchen did a nice test on the pit on top of the guac to see if it prevented oxidation. It didn't help at all :(. But I still put one atop mine anyway. http://www.americastestkitchen.com/

Jeez, I gotta get a life, and I know just where to look for one!

Rides here. But I will try olives in my guac next time.

::

The celentro is usually added on top, as you suggest. Some people sprinkle a little cilantro powder into the mix as well. As for the pit, who knows, I know if you add lime/lemon and cover, it reduces oxidation, supposedly the pit does the same...I think more a matter of covering and keeping the air away.

Archived