Newbie mistakes

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I learned a lot from this board but in Thailand, there are so many good scams, I think making mistakes and learning from them is just part of the journey.

My mistakes (recent)

When I got to Pattaya, I would ask the baht bus, "how much". For a few days, I would pay the baht buss drive 30-60 baht for a trip. It was nice when I figured out that I could ride them for 10 baht. I am sure Thai people can get 5 baht, but I was happy to get it down to 10 baht

I went to Sabai massage in Pattaya. I paid 600 baht for a massage. The girl said she wanted another 700 baht for a tip. I was alreaady there so I just went with the program, I am vacation right? This may have been a double dipping on the dumb tourist who would not make a fuss.

The last one is being with a girl and being distracted and not seeing that the cab driver turned on the meter. We got to the hotel and he wanted 200 baht, I offered him 50, and finally gave him 70. It was funny, the Thai lady I was with was more angry than me, I was telling her to take it easy and calm down.

I am sure there are more where I payed too much. This I think is a common mistake. Sometimes I don't really mind paying a higher price, I just hate it when they are scamming you and they have that big smile on their face...Grrrrrrr!

I am happy to say I did not make any bigger mistakes. I was very careful to always stay calm and to make sure I was never standing in front of a Thai police and saying "let's settle" ha ha ha

I have now been to Thailand 19 times and my first trip was only 3 years ago, on my first trip and first girl i paid her 7000 baht for the night cause thats how much she said it cost.

Luckly for me I met some old time sanukers there who set me straight, other wize I would have been broke by the end of the week. :( :( :(

The biggest mistake I made on my first holiday to LOS was to grab the third girl (I trhink she grabbed me first) I saw in the very first bar I entered at NEP ... long time for 500 Baht ... thought I was in my glory until I awakened the next morning and took a real good look at her! My two buddies had a bet as to how long I would last. I was just blown away by the scene and fell prey to temptation way too quickly. ... my friends had a good laugh.

Reminds me of my first trip to LOS, when I went out on the third night hoping to get laid (hoping - that shows you how new I was). Having so far not discovered the delights of Nana or Cowboy in my daytime wanderings, I strolled down Sukhumvit from my Soi 11 hotel, and eventually spotted some sparkling lights down a soi. It was a small bar, with me as the only customer and 2 girls. I was hard pressed to decide on which one to take upstairs to a private room, so decided on both for 5000 baht!!! I also paid with my credit card, which later in the cold light of day gave me many anxious moments.

I had an ok time with these two, but discovered later I paid way too much, and service was only average.

Funny thing is, on subsequent trips to that area, I cannot find that bar, the nearest thing being the Eden Club. I was wondering then how long the Eden club has been operating under that name (the event above happened in Feb 1998) and if in fact I was one of its earliest customers before Marc turned it into what it is today - shit, I may have given him the 2 girls per customer idea!!!! :o

Archived