blood on my thing

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You forget another fact too about the GPO-VIR, they are still not able to produce the amount needed just for Thailand, then, is not available to everybody that is HIV+.

Also some people, because is lazy taking the medication on time, can develop resistance to one of the components, then time to change the medication.

Anti-retroviral medication is more complex than you think and is not a magical thing, yet, like the peniciline was. Sure that a lot of people is getting benefit of that medication, but there is still a long way to state that the Anti-retroviral medication in Thailand costs only 2000 (or 1200) Baht. Once more 16000 people are currently under a test to confirm results.

Pharma industry as well as other industries can be really nasty defending their interests.

as far as i know they are able to produce the amount needed, but are still in the training program for doctors and hospital staff to avoid the resistence problem.

the patients i spoke with whose life was saved (one person going from 35 kilos weight nearly dying up to 50 something and working every day), and the doctors who work every day with GPO-VIR do have called that medicine a wonderdrug, especially considering the low cost and convenience to take it makes it perfect for poor countries.

i am not a doctor, so i can only repeat what doctors and healthofficials who are involved both in the development and the prescription of GPO -VIR told me in person, and what patients who are taking that medicine.

The resistence problem is basically caused by three factors:

- People decides to have a medication vacation or is not taking the medication on time.

- The medication is not the one that is effective on the patient's virus 'mutation' when they start the medication.

- Unknown reasons.

More than train the doctors and hospital staff the thing that is needed is make them understand the analisys results CD4 (sometimes CD8) and virus load evolution (weekly analisys when doing the studies) and see if that particular medication is the one that really needs the patient.

Sure that the drug coktail is saving, better say extending, lifes, but there is still a long path to be followed until GPO-VIR is widely accepted by the medical comunity.

It's great that somebody has been able to develop a medication that can be sold for 20 Baht/pill (or 30 depeending the hospital) and since the first tests were satisfactory enough they had the guts to produce it and distribute it.

>> one person going from 35 kilos weight nearly dying up to 50 something and working every day.

That's great!, but I cannot see the GPO-VIR as 100% responsible of that recovery, might be other factors as well.

Anyhow GPO-VIR is a great medication, but still a long way to do it.

>>>Anyhow GPO-VIR is a great medication, but still a long way to do it. <<<

the biggest problem there seems to be for word wide distribution and production (or better underdeveloped world-wide) the very strange patent laws and resistence by the pharmagiants who seem to use any trick in the box (including corruption and physical threads, lobbying, political intimidation etc.) to stop GPO-VIR.

some of the stuff those healthofficials told me i would have put away as conspiracy theorist's rubbish, if those people would not have been high ranking government people dealing on a daily base with other top ranking government people from all over the world.

it's a strange world.

I'm not trying to defend the pharma industry policy about patents, but you have to understand them. Companies spend hundreds of millions (put the currency you want here) on investigation. Sometimes the investigation is a success and sometimes isn't. Unless the development of new drugs is finantially managed diferent than today companies have to get benefits of their investigations results.

Once more GPO-VIR is a 'light' for the HIV+ people, but still a long way to go, not available for everybody here in Thailand. Then those patients will have to use other mdications whose cost is higher, use some traditional medication or simply wait to be lucky and live for long time.

actually, the funny thing according to the people who deal with that patent problems every day is, that the argument of the pharmaindustries investing millions in researching and developing the AIDS medicaments is a load of rubbish.

they say, that in reality the vast majority of AIDS medicaments were researched and developed by universities and funded by government grants. in one case i know of it took them a rather longish time to find out that for a specific ingredient they needed for some generic combination medicament the patentholder was actually a university and not the pharma concern who manufactured the medicament. after a bit of studentlobbying that ingredient was then given out for free for everybody to use.

HI FLY how you doin? as you know I have a bit to do with this shit now and I can tell you it is available on the 30 baht scheme, what the retrabutions are of taking it I dont know as we are not yet at that stage, and yes it is available to all Thais! and if there is a shortage of it ! well no doctor has informed me of this !!!! mind you they probably wont untill its time to take it!!!! ::

in the 30 baht scheme? that is good news, very good news! you can't imagine the amount of hard work it cost many dedicated people to achieve that. excellent!

hope it will take many years until it will reach the stage, and hopefully by then there might even be some better medicaments available. :)

>> the argument of the pharmaindustries investing millions in researching and developing the AIDS medicaments is a load of rubbish.

Once more, I'm not trying to defende the Pharma industry, but it's not rubbish. Could be done cheaper? Probably yes, but they are spending a hell of $$$ developing and building plants to produce new drugs. I cannot post details, but I'm directly involved on the construction of few plants around the world, and I know how much they cost.

Archived