Long Distance Relations

BelgianBoy

Kamui: Like BB, I've got a few more things working to my advantage that give me a better chance too:

* My girlfriend shares a similar level of education (University)

* She speaks and writes English pretty well (always room for improvement, but communication hasn't been a problem)

* I go to BKK every 4-6 weeks for business

* We talk on the phone and email every single day

* She is pregnanat with my child, so there is a stronger bond/need through that.

I have other things working against me as well, but they were covered in another thread.

There's no doubt a long distance relationship is damn hard. If too many factors are stacked against you (and sometimes even if they are not) the relationship will be doomed to fail. It does give me encouragement to hear stories like BB's... sometimes it can definitely work out..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I 've been in this long distance relationship for a year now.Technology made it lot easier via e-mails, instant message etc. he maybe not around whenever I need him.He cant be there when I feel down.When I need someone to say things would be ok, he is away.But whenever I thought about we are going to meet again soon, those warm smiles at the airport ,sundays afternoon in a park with him I can deal with those rad feeling. I never know if it going to work in the long run but I would give it a try and so far we are doing quite great!

* My english is ok.

* Univ graduated

* 4 times(not enough,though )

* I will moving to nyc next year(to study and be around my bf)

Thanks for the imput and to let us see the 'other side'.......... :)

Your feelings are exactly what my GF tells me.......... she needs me to be there so she can touch me, but webcam is the best alternative when I'm not around..........

And I move to BKK next year !!!!!

*sight*.... another 25 days to go.....

Cheers !

Kamui,

why cancel your christmas trip, stay home alone and think a lot? This would become a very bad christmas.

Why not make your trip, party and enjoy the live? If you are not happy, quit the lady and have fun. There are many girls around!

Yes great thread and some interesting ideas.

I'd agree with many of the other posters - regular phone calls, as many trips to Thailand as possible, making plans.

I've known my wife approx 5 years though it's not been that serious until the last year or two.

Here's what's worked for me.

Regular phone calls - 4 to 5 times a week.

Making plans and then sticking by them - this year we bought a house together and got married in Thailand.

booking my next flight to Thailand as soon as I get back and then counting down the days again with her.

meeting my friends and family - my mother, aunt and a couple of friends came over for the wedding.

Communication - she speaks pretty good English.

Always making future plans the main one to be living together.

These have worked for me though there have been some real rough patches in the relationship - but now we seem to be steering on course.

I like the idea of the web cam but my wife is clueless when it comes to computers, I might have to send her back to school for a while.

why cancel your christmas trip, stay home alone and think a lot? This would become a very bad christmas.

I always found the new years parties a kind of boring and sometimes depressing, therefore I would have liked to party in LOS this year - with or without my (ex-)girl friend.

But as I said, I booked the trip because of her, knowing that this would cause financial problems to me. The board help me to keep my eyes open and I did not took long to realize that our relationship is not based on a solid foundation. Even I regret not being able to go to LOS, I am relieved that I wasn´t so stupid to go for a holiday I cannot afford at the moment. Which does not mean that I don?t plan to go there next year. ::

Hi traveler-nyc,

We talk at least four times a day for the past two years. Twice before she's going to bed, my day just about to start in New York. Twice before I am going to bed, and her day is about to begin there. It's definitely not an easy way to built a relationship and then a few times in between miscommunication or mis-interpretation of words or thoughts would bring heartache to boths.... chieusamac

anonymouse,

Thanks for the compliment and good to see you are in the same (love)boat :)

I must guess your wife is not 60 yo, hence definitely yes, get her to class to learn all there is about computers.

Better ask TTM for advice here, his GF learnt all that recently as well :)

( jeeeez :) I'm sounding like a helpdesk now.......... )

Another question : you say you are married, but you are NOT together ?

What happened ?

Cheers !

Archived