Tipping in LOS

Torneyboy

I usually only take taxis from the airport to Pattaya thru Thai limosuine or some of the other taxi companies and tolls are suppose to be included, but every once in a while a driver tries to take me for tolls.

I wouldn't even consider tipping a taxi driver I negoticated directly with and would exspect to pay tolls.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to be a fairly generous tipper in the LOS; I didn't really give it all that much thought. But after getting ripped off a few times in tourist-oriented places, I changed my habits. The amounts I was ripped-off for were fairly small, but it changed my perception of the service industry. I still give out tips, but am much more selective how I do it. Generally, I am more likely to give out tips in places that are off the over-priced tourist scene, or in a situation where excellent, polite and friendly service was rendered.

In reference to an earlier post in this thread, it will be a cold day in Hell before I give a tip for a 110 Baht beer.

Harlequin

Of course, they say that tipping is not expected in Thailand, etc., etc., but I've developed a pretty standard pattern:

Taxis: Just round up to the next 10's place.

Guy who carries my bag in a hotel: 20 baht.

Normal Thai air-con restaurant: 20 baht or the coins in the tray.

Normal farang-oriented air-con restaurant (like, say, The Londoner): 50 baht.

Special farang-oriented air-con restaurant (like Gourmet Gallery or Hard Rock Cafe): 100 baht.

Bar: about 20 to the bartender or leave the coins in the tray (they always ensure 20 baht in coins anyway) and maybe (BIG maybe) 50 to a girl I've been chatting with.

Annie's Massage Parlor: 500 baht ::

Hard Rock's as fancy as I get, and I normally only go there once a year or two years. I've never been to CM2 or Spasso.

BTW, I should have mentioned that those restaurant tips are valid for if I'm having a meal, not just drinks, and then with one or more others. But I thought I looked rather cheap compared with some of the other posters.

it indeed depends on the tipping culture in your homecountry, but should also be biased by the tipping culture of LOS.

I worked as a taxidriver while at uni & learned to appreciate the occasional surpricingly generous tips, which ended up being a large part of my net pay in highly taxed denmark...

so obviously I tend to tip the cabbies especially if providing decent service :)

Archived