Tipping in LOS

Torneyboy

"So why when i call on the phone from my country it is always i have no money help me please(ok here we go again)if you didnt tip everyone in sight you would have some money left each month!!"

Look on the bright side of things. It seems she is a good hearted person. It sure would have been worse if she was a cold hearted bitch, who treated people like shit. You would have had to watch your back if that was the case..

Cheers!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for hotel staff cleaning my room=40-60 Baht

for the hotel boy who brings my bags in my room = 20 Baht

in restaurants after a meal= 20 Baht (except the service is add to my bill!)

in bars= 0 - 10 Baht

in gogo-bars= if the beer costs 110 Baht then= 0 Baht!

Taxi driver= i add to the next 20 Baht

AND who give a tip to ME?!?

if I leave a tip on the table it will go to the house, but if I put in "in the hand" of the waiter or waitress they will be allowed to keep it.

[color:"blue"]

In many farang-oriented places, the tip to the "house" is shared among all staff after closing hours whereas direct tip to a person is kept by that individual only.

At least couple of places I know, the main reason for the service staff to deal with us crazy farangs is for the tip (directly or shared) - often the tip is the biggest revenue source for 'em easily superceding more than their meager salary.

Regardless whether a particular individual deserving my token of appreciation, I also leave some for other staff to share - realizing that there are unnoticed supposting casts in the background.

[/color]

Observe the Thais and see how much they tip, if any. For taxis just roundup. At restaurants if there is a service charge then no tip. Otherwise leave the loose change.

Remember, you can buy lunch in Bangkok for 20-25 Baht. So a 20 Baht tip is alot of money.

To me it seems your GF is playing Mrs. Big with your money. I have never seen Thais handing out 20 B notes to all the servers or kids.

i have seen on several occasion, high society thais tipping very generous and in my opinion thais are tipping more than your average farang.

has probably also something to do with the culture, that wealth have to be shown and demonstrated. it's expensive to be rich in thailand!

Insidious bloody yankee gringo imperialist habit that it is.....stop it now, we folk from non-tipping cultures don't appreciate it!

Cheers

Jaga

P.S for all those unable to appreciate sarcasm/irony, this is what is known in Australia as a "piss-take"

One of the great debates: How much do you tip in Thailand?

As a tourist, I tend to tip more because I am holiday. I am making a western salary and can afford the tips that I choose to give. If I get exceptional service in a bar, I have been known to leave 200 baht. If I get lousy service in a bar, I have been know to leave 10 baht.

However, if I was an ex-pat and living on Thai wages, I would follow Thai customs for tipping.

Archived