Tipping in LOS

Torneyboy

Do you guys tip in Los for general services hotel staff,cabs etc,

If so how much or how little?

I tend to leave on the bed all my coins(no matter how much)and notes to grand total of about THB200 for the stay.

Cabs: a little if they get me to where i want in good time(traffic conditions apply)

Brings me to a thought i was with my Mp GF a few months ago i flew her down to Bkk for a few days before going to CM.

I dont take small notes out of my room so i had a pile of 10s and 20s maybe 800thb.

She walks in a puts in her pocket whithout asking (never mind i know her very well).

Anyway we go out to dinner with a heap of people (i paid of course).

I then see her going around to every child in the restaurant handing THB 20 to each!

And look out if i dont tip the cab when im with her(they dont earn much she keeps telling me.)

So why when i call on the phone from my country it is always i have no money help me please(ok here we go again)if you didnt tip everyone in sight you would have some money left each month!!

Sorry got carried away back to the topic.

Tipping do you or dont you also does it vary from north as to BKK

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends greatly on my mood:

Cab drivers; rarely, unless they make good conversation, drive like michael schumacher and the fare comes to an odd number !

Bars; usually, especially if i'm a regular, also hate carrying all that shrapnel around.

Hairdresser; usually, providing they get it done quick and dont insist on taking 3 hours by cutting each individual hair to engineering standard dimensions

Hotels; rarely, if the service was good and the staff friendly i'll leave all my coinage for the cleaners etc. if not they'll just end up with my cigarette butts.

Restaurants; rarely, most of them include service charge into their pricing. unless the chef personally makes an effort for me and the sexy waitress gives me her phone number ..... then they might get ten baht :: ::

Tipping is greatly appreciated in Thailand and anywhere else for that matter. 20 B to whoever carries the bags. 40 or 50 B to the hotel maids every couple of days will insure good service. 5, 10 or 20 B to the cab driver, depending on the size of the fare, is just a nice thing to do. 20 B each to the little kids is not necessary but "what the hell".

Taking money without asking, I don't approve of but usually it will be spent on you. Same goes for keeping the change from a mini mart run. Actually, really no big deal as long as it's not substantial.

In general, overtipping is definitely uncalled for and, IMHO, almost always unappreciated. Kinda makes you look like you don't know what you're doing. Big newbie mistake, especially among US Americans. I know because I made that mistake and all of my friends make the same mistake. It's one of the first things to get straight about the difference between Thailand and "home".

I tip to anybody who normally would deserve it anywhere around the world. The rates I tip in Thailand are approx:

Restaruants: 20 baht min, then about 10% of the total bill.

Maids: 20-40 baht a day (I stay at medium rate hotels).

Bell boys: 50 baht per jaunt up to the room.

Taxi drivers: (if they're friendly) 20 to 100 baht (long trips)

Foot Massage girls: 50 to 100 baht.

Bars: 20 baht per few drinks.

When people get greedy, they get nothing. I especially like to see if taxi drivers try and take me for tolls. If they do, they screw themselfs out of what would have been a bigger tip than the toll fare they just pocketed.

I especially like to see if taxi drivers try and take me for tolls. If they do, they screw themselfs out of what would have been a bigger tip than the toll fare they just pocketed.

I thought you had to pay the toll fares, im not sure what you mean here, but why would the taxi pay for the toll ????? ::

that's also my observation. and that's what make you from farang khee niaow (leaving nothing or just a coin) over the farang suphaab djeydjey (leaving 20 baht) to the farang jay dee (put additonal 20 baht in the hands of the waitress and the surrounding girls) or even jay dee marg (20+ baht).

The biggest tip I give is usually to the head guy on the door at the big cafes a few days before a big name is singing, this ensures that he will keep me a table near the front. So then can go in later when the place is packed and go straight to the front. Biggest tip I have given is 1,000 baht for the staff at the tai pan, bigest individual tip was 200 baht for a waitresss at pra nam khow cafe. Usually tip 20 baht in 'posh' restaurant, 20 bellboys, round up taxi unless it's to the airport or very long way, then give around 50 baht, cleaners depends on the mood but about 20 baht a day. Hairdressers never, we are being overcharged greatly as it is if around sukhumvit. Wish I could stop leaving so much change in a go go's, rarely is it deserved and it annoys me when they constantly expect it.-peter

Archived