Gold

whosyourdaddy

She was able to haggle down the price 100 Baht.

[color:"blue"]

Not sure what I am trying to say here but ... 100 baht saving / 2 baht gold < 0.8 % saving right?

If you were able to 50 baht saving for yourself, the difference seems immaterial to me ... but then again, it does pay for the taxi ride to Chinatown ::

[/color]

Way to go, buying some gold for the little lady, demostrating we Canadian men are class acts all the way!

[color:"blue"]

I think you Canooks are pretty cool people ... so different from the country just below (or should I say beneath) ::

I think I'm rich ... I was pretentious enough to wear multpile bahts around my neck but everytime I go back home to visit my parents, my mother promptly "snake" my chains saying that "real men don't wear jewelry and that it looks better on her than me" ... I think she has a stockpile for my future!!!

[/color]

"...everytime I go back home to visit my parents, my mother promptly "snake" my chains saying that "real men don't wear jewelry and that it looks better on her than me" ... I think she has a stockpile for my future!!!..."

Maybe she is selling them back to the shops in Thailand! :)

100Bht may not be much of a savings, but it does help keep the prices down. Also 100bht does buy 4 lunches at a food court! :)

Sorry, but there is very small room to manuvere. In addition to the price per baht, there is about a 450bht add on to cover the workmanship. The work cost is the same on every peice (other than pendant size pieces) so if you are buying a 2 baht piece, it is the same 450baht (example) as on a 1 baht piece or a 6 baht piece. The workmanship price is what can be negotiated. If you are buyin 1 piece, you can maybe get 100baht off or slightly more. If you are buying severel pieces this will add up. Right now, the dealers may not be so willing to negotiate as much because the demand for gold is high now due to worl situations and economies. But the price of gold jewelry is negotiable be it ever so slightly.

Here in the USA if you want to buy a 1oz ingot or coin such as an American Eagle or a Canadian Maple leaf, there is an add on over the world index price (also called the spot price) say gold is $300usd on the worls market, there will be a few dollars over that for a coin depending on which one it is, and also a premium price on the coin, so the final cost could be $25++ over the spot price. In a soft market for gold, you can negotiate this $25 or so. However, you cannot buy gold below the world index (spot price).

Archived