Gold

whosyourdaddy

Does anyone know if you can haggle for the price of gold.. Seems the all charge the stardard price which is listed in the paper (6600/ bhat) but then charge a 300 'artist fee" on top of that. I am thinking of getting my wife a gold bracelet for x-mas but remember when the price was 4700/ Bhat of gold. It is almost a 50% increase so would like to save as much as I can

>but remember when the price was 4700/ Bhat of gold. It is almost a 50% increase

When was that? According to www.oanda.com the gold vs. baht rate hit a five year bottom in mid 1999. Now it is about 35% more expensive, which translates into about 6300/ Baht, if the 4700 figure is accurate. That of course would be the average between the buy/sell rates, which makes the 6600 baht rate unsurprising. The dealers will want to have their mark-up and will pay less when buying gold.

And Old Hippie covered quite thoroughly the bargaining for gold aspect in the "Buying Gold in Thailand" thread (Shopping, Nov 13th)...

Wagner

Yes I did arrive in mid 1999 and that is when it was the lowest that I remember.. . It is now 6700 in most shops which is the highest I have seen since I have lived here.

Interesting site first time I have seen gold on the list.

It states that 1 oz of gold is 14247 Bhat today.. In Thai gold terms the 1 THai Bhat worth of gold is about 6700B worth of currency. 1 Thai Bhat is about 1/2 TROY Oz.

In June 99, which is about the time I would have been interested in buying gold the amount for 1 oz was about Tuesday, June 22, 1999

1 Gold (oz.) = 9,477.57 Thai Baht

which would make it 4456B for one Bhat of gold

Thanks for reminding me I should have stocked up since it is not 50% more expenisive than it was in 1999 (4456*1.5=.6750)

I actually bought the gold and could not get the price down at all. I thought they might have moved 50B on the making fee, but they did not

the official site is the selling price.. not the average between

yes all things mineral are sexy once more...especially gold during troubled times. Trying to haggle on gold price is like trying to haggle at the exchange both.

P.S. I have a mineral development lease in Western Australia that's a sure thing...anyione interested in buying shares?

Bought a few small items this last trip. on a 1/2 baht braclet, I got them down a whole 70 bhat! I also had a Prah (Buddha image) put into a gold case, and only got about 150bhat off the whole job (gold case, plastic cover, quite a bit of fitting, water proofing, a first class job!). I was told by severel gold buying experts (bar girls, with extensive collections) that I got a decent deal. I did think it a bit harder to bargan on the price this time around. I also bought a smaller quantity.

On a thought, I did see a lot of shops displaying a "service charge" of sorts, around 470bht or so, in addition to the baht price. I don't recall seeing this as much before. I agree the price is a bit high at the moment, a reflection of the world/war situation. Could go higher depending on the events that unfold. Seems I remember the world spot price a bit over $400usd the last Persian Golf go around.

A few months ago, I went to Yarowat Rd. to buy 2-Baht worth of gold jewelery. I had a Thai friend with me. She was able to haggle down the price 100 Baht. Not sure if I could have done this had I gone alone.

Harlequin

P.S. Way to go, buying some gold for the little lady, demostrating we Canadian men are class acts all the way! :D

Archived