Loy

'loy'...as in "mai dee looooy". I know it means 'not good a lot'. I would think it would be 'mai dee mahk mahk'. Is it that 'mahk mahk' is only used to emphasize postitive statements, where as 'loy' is used when making a negative comment about something, and you use it to make statement stronger? Also, is 'loy' used in any other context, and can it mean a word on its own?

Thanks, HT

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Loy' or rather Loei, is pronounced just like the name of one of our provinces.

> Is it that 'mahk mahk' is only used to emphasize postitive statements, where as 'loy' is used when making a negative comment about something,<

Both are used to emphasis things positively and negatively. I personally use it eg. "Dee Mark loei ka" to encourage children when they do someting desirable.

>and you use it to make statement stronger?<

Yes.

>Also, is 'loy' used in any other context,<

At this moment I can think of one context.

Pai loei means just go. When said it bluntly like that it gives the tone like challenging other person to move her/his ass out of that place. Like the speaker couldn't care less, usually when people get in a quarrel.

> and can it mean a word on its own?<

No, it's just a modifier.

Thanks, GTG

Could I say "dee dee loei" in response to "sabai dee mai"?, or would that be strange? Or "Pa-ta-karn, dee loei, you-tee-nai?", in asking 'where is a very good restaurant"?

I guess I'm asking if they are completly interchangable?

HT

>Could I say "dee dee loei" in response to "sabai dee mai"?, or would that be strange? <

Yes, it would be strange.

>Or "Pa-ta-karn, dee loei, you-tee-nai?", in asking 'where is a very good restaurant"?

No, strange again.

>I guess I'm asking if they are completly interchangable?<

It is not completely interchangable.

I think the words that can be interchangable with mark is jang loei (Jang pronounced like "lung")

For example, Dee mark, youn could say, dee jang loei.

Heu (hungry) mark = Heu jang loei.

Hi samak,

What does 'laeow' mean?

"pai loei loei" So you can use 'loei' twice, to emphasize even stronger, just like 'mark mark'? I'm thinking 'mark mark' would be the same as 'mark loei', in terms of strength, or level of emphasis?

HT

laeow is another word with several meanings depending on the context: already, then, then, finished, completed etc.

it's also used in combination with other words like:

laeow tae: depends on

dee laeow: ok

phor laeow: enough

laeow ko: and then

etc.

pai loei loei; one of the two loei would be the province; meaning: go to loei (strong imperative)!

>'Phom heu jang loei', or 'Phom heu mark'. Which would mean I'm starving more? <

I would say the later shows you are atarving more.

But it depends on how you use your tone to emphasise your feeling as well.

'Phom heu jang loei' with stress ( longer sound)on the word loei, is probably qual to 'Phom heu mark' without any word stressed.

That's my take.

Archived