"long" and "chaw"

gawguy

Maybe it's because I'm not getting the transliteration right, or maybe because my dictionaries are so weak, but I can't find:

"long ngai" - which I hear a lot

"long hai"

"long doo" - which is quite interesting. I have asked girls that want to go with me if they can "sa-moke." They seem to indicate that they don't, but they want to. They say they will come to the room and "long doo." "doo" sounds like they mean "look" - I will look. After they make this statement they burst into gales of laughter like this is the funniest thing in the world!

"chaw" as in "chaw hai choke dee." This must be something like "wish?"

Does anyone have a dictionary that has all this in it? What is it? Does it has a transliteration section where words and phrases can be looked up in English alphabetical order?

Thanks a million,

GG

Maybe your 'long ngai' is 'laew ngai' (sorry don't have Thai font on this com). In this case it would mean 'so?' or 'so what?' The 'laew' is the same that is used to show a completed action and also used as a conjunction to join sentences etc...

'long hai'??? maybe this is the same thing?

'long doo' would be to 'try it out and see', or 'test it and see'.

Hi gawguy,

Maybe long doo is law doo (spelt with an r - raw properly) which means wait and see. I do not know of a dictionary that is in the order of latin alphabet transliterations. There is an English - Thai dictionary that shows pronunciation of the Thai word in transliteration, and the Thai script spelling but the words are listed in the order of the English words. It is good actually - softback, called "Jumbo Dictionary".

The problem is there is no universally accepted standard method of transliteration. Best to learn the Thai writing and for KS to get the board to show Thai script. ::

Khwai

"long ngai" - which I hear a lot

I agree, it must be áÅéÇä§è (laew ngai) "so" or "So what?"

"long hai"

again ÃéçäËé (rong hai) "cry"

"long doo" -

from the situation I would have to go with Åç´Ù (long doo) as in "try" or "attempt" (literally try and see)

"chaw" as in "chaw hai choke dee." This must be something like "wish?"

again I concur with ¢èà (kor) which used for requests but in this instance it is combined with ãËé (hai) making it ¢èÃãËé (korhai) which means "wish"

Does anyone have a dictionary that has all this in it? What is it? Does it has a transliteration section where words and phrases can be looked up in English alphabetical order?

Some English Thai dictionaries have transliterations but I've never come across a Thai English one like that. Don't forget by far and away the majority of dictionary users are Thai so having the word written in English (Roman script) would be pointless.

Don't forget, if you want to use Thai script you have to change to 'Thai Windows' in 'Encoding' in the 'View menu of IE when you view the board and when you post.

I think "long doo" can also mean "wait and see".

The word "chaw", or "kor" means wish.

So if you say ขอโชคดี (kor chook dee), you would wish it for yourself, but if you say ขอให้โชคดี (kor hei chook dee), you wish it for someone else.

Cheers,

Pharcyde

Archived