Scuba Diving Thread - mini forum

Brink15

1. I mentioned Phuket and Pattaya as focal points not as a list of where I have been diving.

2. A small amount of backround info offerijng a view of my involment put keeping the level of privacy

3. Expert witness...Not boasting but jst provding some info. You're right about Brett...not very productive due to over testifying. (I would explaing that in a PM)

I already stated my interest in this segment, seeing an area of the industry that could, due to its 1st class resources get a much bigger share of the Int'l dive tourism market. Wouldn't it be great is this mini forum evolved into a seperate board for the diving Industry ( both dive operations and manufacturers) in Thailand!

How is the Associaton of Thailand Dive Operators doing?

BTW my mention of Cozumel was to the dive resource and development today NOT 20 years ago... 25 years ago there was good diving from Cancun off Isla Mujares. I'd love to see more people posting here...It can make many people alot more money!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

This is a bit off topic but I am going to Koh Tao this weekend for some diving. As much as I like the dive sites around Tao I have never really much liked the nightlife or backpacker scene. I guess this is one reason why some many bkk expats prefer to go to Pattaya to dive.

Anyway could anyone with local knowledge point me in the right direction for soapy massage (doubt it exists) or oily place with extras or even some type of ST establishment in and around the Mae Haad area ??

Thanks a lot,

MSB

>but I am going to Koh Tao this weekend for some diving.

What an excellent idea. LOL....Maybe see you there! (leaving BK v early Thursday, back on sunday).

In response to your question though, no bloody idea. Looked pretty "backpackerish" when I was last there. Few nasty looking girls in some of the bars. I will be taking a good book!!!

-j-

Unless things have changed radically since the six miserable weeks I spent working there almost 10 years ago, good luck.

Tao to me is an excellent place to spend up to a week of diving if you are on holiday and don't mind the backpacker scene. I know the place is much more developed now, but having said that if you are looking for adult entertainment it will leave you wanting. The vibe on Koh Tao is sort of like a Koh Phang-ngan for divers.

For decent diving and sanuk I would recommend Phuket. Much better diving than Pattaya but with a smaller sanuk scene.

Although it is much more expensive than Koh Tao.

Allright allright,

we're in Thailand after all, are we?

On Saai ree beach apparently there's some beer bar alike places and a disco with some freelancers (few!!).

In Mae Haad, in front of 7-11 there's girls sitting and waiting that work for a massage place up in the hills somewhere, they transport you up there. Apparently there may be some extras to be had there.

There's at least one Thai karaoke up the hill in Mae Haad, at the end (T crossing) take a left, close to the post office.

Other than that, there's tons of farang birds around.:devil: :hubba: :neener:

Please report back and good luck. :up:

Yeah thanks... I didn't think there was much.

I can't understand why nobody has spotted this obvious gap in the market and opened some ST type establishment. Every other town and city has them so why not on Tao where there are plenty of farangs with cash?

The problem with the farang birds is that while they may not want cash for sex you have to put in some effort by talking to them all night.

MSB

The problem with Koh Tao, from a sanuk POV, is that the tourist businesses were established in large part by former backpacker types to target the Khao San road market. As an example one of the earlier dive shops, named after a type of buffalo or Thai rock band, was notorious for their apres dive 'Jamaican' style parties. "Yah mon!" :drunk: One of the first big bungalow resorts is named Sensi Paradise Beach Resort. That's sensi as in short for..oh well...let's just say the founder had a working relationship with Amsterdam coffee houses. :drunk:

Backpackers and the type of sanuk described on this site don't usually mix. Therefore where ever your target market is the unwashed, crunchy granola masses you won't see too many A Go-Gos.

Archived