Some thoughts about wine.....

I have enjoyed reading all these posts about wine, and I agree that for value/baht Chilean wines seem to be the way to go. There are a few Aussie wines that are not too hard on the wallet either for decent quality. Wine is my favorite alcoholic beverage(it's actually my business, I'm a wine buyer for a hotel), but when I am in LOS, I pretty much try to forget about it because it is too hard to get quality reasonably and Thai food really doesn't go with fine wine for the most part. Maybe a gewurztraminer or riesling, or perhaps a fruity sauvignion blanc or pinot noir but anything with rich tannins will wreck both the wine and the food IMO.

Brought a nice bottle of Brunello di Montalcino with me last month to Chiangmai and enjoyed it with friends over a good dinner at an Italian place that has real risotto and good BBQ'd pork. That was special...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did you have to say Brunello!!!!

I had six bottles of Altesino. Think 1990. Might have been 1992. An awesome bottle. I drank 2 before I moved to Thailand and I gave the other 4 up with my entire collection.

Not a lot of experience with Italion wines but I really liked this one. My Banfi's were nice too.

sigh

<<burp>>

brunello di montalcino is a very popular but IMO overpaid italian wine. there are many other locations with better or less expensive wine, but a less popular name. and unfortunately there are many bad wines with the name brunello as many third class winery is exploiting this name.

italian wines always depend very much on the winery. but then wines from angelo gaja, bruno giacosa, masi to name a few are hardly affordable. sigh!

True!!!

But I bought six bottles of the Altesino in 1994-1995 at about $32-$35 a pop. 3 of the bottles I bought at Morrel's on Madison and 54th in New York. They were mispriced. I even had the salesperson confirm the price. I remember this case particularly because I really liked this wine and bottles were going for about $50 back then I believe.

<<burp>>

Q: What did the grpe say when the elephant sat on it?

A: Nothing. It just let out a little wine. ("Whine," get it?) biggrinsanta.gif

I'm sort of fond of the black-stick-rice wine.

Says My Cow Jai:

"Although not a grape based wine, the mangosteen wine produced by Chateaux du Klaeng grown in the Rayong-Chanthaburi provinces is actually quite palatable.

A bit cloudy and sedimenty, it has a very robust fruity flavour with good tannin content from the thick leathery red skin of the fruit. Goes down nicely with Nua Yang, Nua Dtet Diaow, Muu Chamuang and other dark Thai dishes.

Amazing! This is the same stuff I said tasted like Robitussin DM to me. BLECH!

Oh well, what would you expect from a guy like me who favors wines like Chateau Du Ripple, Maison De La Bali Hai, and Le Royal Farm Des Boone's? :drunk:

I thought I would enter a few notes of my own, being a pre-eminent booze hound and professional piss-artiste. I tend to avoid wine in LOS, mainly due tothe fact that spicy food and wine do not mix. If you do however wish to combine these, I'd pick a young white with a low tanine content, as tanine generally does not mix well with spices. Something like a Verdhello or a Semillion or even a Rose. I tend to opt for a lighter style lager beer, ice cold with Thai fod. I have a mate here in OZ who delights in disgusting me when we go to a Thai or Malaysian restraunt by indulging his taste for full-bodied reds more enjoyable with heavy, European style red meat dishes. I have tried the Thai White and red, the generic one you see along side Sang-Som and Sang Thip in convenience stores. It is generally agreed it tastes like cat's piss, andI concur.

Cheers

Jaga

Archived