Barfines On the Rise???

Sarisin

I was just wondering if you think the barfines in the sanuking districts are on the rise now.

Yes, theoretically it is the tourist season and there should be more customers in town, but what about the impact of the early closures of the afterhours freelance joints?

In the past, I have always avoided paying barfines in favor of a visit to places like Thermae, Nana Disco, or the Grace where you have freelancers and no barfines involved.

However, now you have to fish or cut bait when it gets close to 2am. In other words make a quick dash to one of the above spots, or shell out the barfine. I might find myself doing more of the latter I think.

So, what do you think? Are you more inclined to pay barfines now, or will you leave the gogo fun early and make it to a freelancer venue? Or, take your chances with street hookers, after everything else has closed?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When bar fines were 300 baht at gogo bars I took at least one girl a week. sometimes 2 then they went up to 400 baht so I cut down to 2-3 a month Now that bar fines are 500-600 baht I only take a girl 1-2 times a month. I simply refuse to pay these crazy prices. Now it is cheeper for me to go down to Pattaya and pay for a hotel room and then pay a 200 baht bar fine from a beer bar. Many girls are happy to stay all night for 1,000. baht in Pattaya and I seem to be able to relax more down there. So you can have your over priced NaNa with it's 600 baht bar fines and short time only girls. I have moved on from that rip off. See you in Pattaya. NIKKI 666

Nikki, have to agree with you on this one mate. I've always prefered Cowboy to Nanaplaza, far better attitude and and value. And in the last couple of years things have got a lot worse. I for one have no intention of paying 110 baht for warm beer and then a rip off 600 baht fine to get some little madam back to do an excellent impression of a piece of a frozen haddock and then expect silly money in return. I was never a great fan of Pattaya in years gone by but have warmed greatly to the place in the last couple of years or so. It offers now far better value and generally better attitude. And much as I love Bangkok I think a growing number of greedy bar owners and bar girls are doing a very good job of driving punters to alternative venues.

Cheers Simie.

It is a very good question for me as well

as Of the last 2 years I have gone off paying

too many bar fines.

I happen to like Nana Plaza, only because it was the

first area I went to back in 1988

And I've always stayed around the area.

But I refuse to pay 600Bht bar fines

I would think 300-400 is enough

Since Nana disco and soi 7 beer garden have become

popular and the old Thermae (I don't think its as good now)

but I still go, I mostly take freelancers

Its just a pain in the arse the Grace has stopped serving after 2pm

I will still remain a mainly no bar fine person

cheers

khunmi :drunk:

When in BKK, I am one of the worst customers for bar owners. I think, I payed my last bf 2 or 3 yrs ago (THB 300 in SC, Tilac bar). I usually stick to bj-bars or freelance places.

In PTY, with an average bf of THB 200, no problem for me.

Have to agree with you NIKKI.

Guess that's why many guys live in Pattaya instead of BKK? 200 baht barfine seems to be the norm in many bar beers, and as you say many pooyings seem to be quite happy with 1000 baht to stay the night (and many will stay the next day - or at least come back early afternoon for a swim in the pool and some late afternoon action, if you ask ... assuming you hit it off and they give the apparence they kinda like you).

And, how about Jomtien? Any one have experience there? Any bar beer action/opportunities, other than The Winchester Club? Had an EXCELLENT experience there last month - JXXX was GREAT. 250 baht for the ST room and she was VERY happy with 500 baht tip. Will definitely go back next trip! I guess one could book a room there (assuming you would want to???)? Not sure about that, I got an obscure "non-answer" answer when I inquired. Anyone? Also, any recommendations, including prices, and details about other "Sanuk-friendly" Jomtien accommodations from anyone who has stayed there previously?

Thanks,

Garuda

Huh? Sarisin and barfines. Like putting mayo on a polish dog. :) I resist paying the bf, and usually find a freelancer. i've had better luck in the late afternoon or early evening in places lke BG7, Bus Stop or Bamboo. I reckon so.ps: those Eagles are sure playing well with the third string Qback. Home field advantage for sure at the Vet what with those caring and sharing bird backers.

I think the gogos are just not doing the same BF business they did a few years ago. I really believe when they decided to kick up BFs from the 300 to 500/600 baht range, they have done a lot of damage to numbers.

The freelance market is a really competitor to the gog scene now. I think you have to look harder and be more active in your search than just sitting and looking at the parade on stage. But, the savings of the bar fine and drink(s) along with freelancers in my experience are on average 500 to 1000 less than good-looking gogo dancers, it is well worth the "active" strategy taken.

Bottom line is the gogo places and their dancers' expectations are starting to outpriced themselves given the

worthy competition in the freelance market. The only thing missing with the freelance market is one can't inspect the merchadise before the done deal..........

cardinalblue

It's not that often that I'm in Bangkok, so when there, paying bar doesn't raise costs all that much. Of course I also just enjoy the scene and the party when finally there, so I'm usually around until close to 2am anyway.. At that time there isn't much point in paying bar anymore and indeed it's been a while since my last barfine.

Last week I was at one of the smaller (but fun) bars in Nana (also had a lot of fun at Cascade of all places even though (or because) there were very few customers. Those waitresses are something else..) So anyway I had every intention of paying bar, but then before I knew it it was like 3am and police came in.. time to leave and let the bar people settle the score with the boys in brown in private...

Walking (if you can still call it walking) back along Sukhumvit I spotted a girl walking the other way, she seemed fun and cool and took her straight back to the Grand President. (Nice place that, I like the kitchenette they have. e-mail me if anyone wants to know what happens when you microwave a freshly filled condom, or in what room to avoid using that appliance. ;-)

So.. 'take my chances with a street girl' sounds a little too desperate and iffy.. Because of the closing time, LOTS of people are out around even if they just finished work somewhere. I wouldn't go with a hard core street dog, but after just a little chit-chat over a bowl of noodles you'll know if you like here and if she's ok with you.

Food for thought: Perhaps the noodle scene on Sukhumvit between 2 and 3 am is the most fun part of the whole evening.. ;-)

As girls in the street may just have come from flashy gogo's, I do mention these days that there's a fixed budget of 1000 baht. I still don't like talking about money beforehand, but I think girls may even appreciate the peace of mind that comes from knowing they'll have money the next day. And 'stating a budget' is different from 'discussing price'. There's none of the latter. ;-)

(Also I don't charge girls if they want to stay the whole night; fine with me. :)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Archived