Farangs with Thai Bank Accounts???

MooNoi

Morning Lads/Lasses.

Can anyone tell me if its possible for a farang to open a bank account in Thailand? Someone told me they can't unless they have permanent residency, but I've also heard that you can. My girlfriend asked at two banks and one said "no" and the other "didn't know". If you can, is there a certain proceedure, and which bank is best? Krung Thai, TFB, Bangkok Bank?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the laws have switched back and forth a few times, but I belive there are no restrictions now. Bangkok Bank is probably the best. Most financially sound, lots of branches, etc. I opened an passbook savings account account w/ atm card with them in Chiang Mai and in Pattaya last year. Just had to bring my passport and a photocopy of my passport to give them.

I tried this a few months ago, and they seemed happy to do this, but there was some confusion as to whether I could access an ATM outside of Thailand, also have a mailing address overseas was a bit confusing for them too.

Getting money in was fine.

It all got to hard and I left, but if anyone has any tip on getting what I want I'll try again.

quote:

Originally posted by worldwalker:

I know the laws have switched back and forth a few times, but I belive there are no restrictions now. Bangkok Bank is probably the best. Most financially sound, lots of branches, etc. I opened an passbook savings account account w/ atm card with them in Chiang Mai and in Pattaya last year. Just had to bring my passport and a photocopy of my passport to give them.

quote:

Originally posted by db_sed_aloha:

I opened a savings account at TFB with just a passport and got a Visa Electron ATM card which works in any ATM.

At Bangkok BAnk 2 ATM cards were available for purchase. 100 baht for a Bualuang system only card which can only be used in Thailand (I think non bkkbank atms typically charge 20B for a withdrawl), and 150 for one that also had the Plus system, which is very common at least in the US. I've never tried it in the US though.

Hi,

I have a normal Bangkok Bank ATM card and can use it with any bank in Thailand. If I am correct than withdrawing from an ATM from your issuing bank is always free, and ATMs from other banks are free the first 3 times per month. After that it is 3 Baht per transaction.

Opening a bank account (savings) is possible, but without a workpermit you will get a reduced interest rate.

Sanuk!

It's suprisingly easy. I opened a savings account at BKK Bank near Asok. After about 10 minutes I left with passbook and ATM card. All I needed to bring was my passport.

I can't rememeber but the bank girl may have asked if I wanted an international ATM card. To impress her, I said yes of course. This card does work outside of Thailand, well in Malaysia and Singapore, but only in some banks, e.g. Public Bank. Looking at my ATM card, it has "PLUS" and "BUALONG" written on it. You might have to specify that you need an international ATM card..

I got a passbook savings account at the Siam City bank inside Ploenchit Center by simply showing up with my passport, and depositing an opening amount. They never even asked for an address.

Getting a checking account requires a work permit.

I strongly suspect that most Thai bank ATM cards are not valid outside Thailand. many can only be used at branch ATM's of the issuing bank.

"Let the good times roll!"

B-Fly BKK

At virtually all Thai banks, a foreigner only needs a passport to open a savings account. A local address helps, but you can make that up easily enough as they do not send statements out for savinsg accounts.

For a checking account, you need a work permit, as is noted above by another poster. Thais, however, rarely write checks.

You have two choices at TFBank in ATM cards. Their global card, which comes for a small fee each year, is accessible abroad. I just used mine the other day. Their local ATM is not.

If you have a joint account, they will only give you one ATM card.

Hope that helps.

froggo

Archived