Excellent meal on Sukhumvit Soi 3/1

Just had an excellent meal at one of those Arab barbeque places on Soi 3/1.

They have a tout who beckons from their outdoor seating area, and some of the dishes they serve are visible in a serving case. My wife kind of turned up her nose but then the guy said they have Thai food too. We looked at the menu and she found something she could eat so we decided to try it. I suppose when Arab dudes take a Thai lady to eat they have some of the same issues we do and so the restaurants catering to them will serve Thai food in the same vein as many western food outlets do!

My wife found the shrimp w/ noodles pretty good. They had the right Thai condiments too.

I had a lentil soup, and lamb chop barbbeque, with flat bread. It was simply delicious. And accented by a really excellent thick green hot sauce (more like a chunky paste).

With a coke and an orange juice, the total bill was 465 baht.

I couldn't even tell you the name of the place -- was it Al Hussein maybe? -- but I wonder if this experience is replicated at the other places back in that area, this was my first experience eating back there.

I ate at a place over there about a year ago, advertised Saudi etc... food. It was on Soi 3 on the left as you go from Sukhumvit. Was decent, I seem to remember it being a bit pricey, maybe 5-600bht for 2. But decent. Can't remember the name either. There are a lot of little "fallafel and Gyro" type place along that road that are pretty decent. I also like the Lebanese place in Ploenchit center, on the basement level. The service is o.k. in most of these places and I blame any ackwardness on language rather than hostilities. Worth checking out!

Hi!

'Al Hussein' is indeed the name of the place. It's on the soi 'with no name' just between Soi 3 and Soi 5, and pretty close to Sukhumvit main road.

I go there sometimes myself because of the grilled lamb chops and 'humus'. It's good value and very tasty.

There are in fact several good restaurants in that area. Only drawback -- for a drinker as me -- is that most places don't sell alcohol. :( Pretty good area for people watching as well. Many 'characters' around, if you get what I mean. ;)

Straycat

yes i had eaten a dinner two month ago in an Iranian restaurant on soi 3/1. Good food, excellent service and reasonable price. But the funniest thing was the bit shocked Farangs walking outside the terrace and see me eating inside. :D

I prefer Arabian food, no American/Brit Fastfood please.

Mentors: That might be the same Iranian restaurant I have eaten at. Is there more than one on that little soi that is specifically Iranian? The one I went to was excellent, and it's open 24 hours, I think.

hert.gif

Archived