House maid prathet Myanmar

didierhardy

My employer has offered me to hire a House maid from Myanmar. He told me that plenty of them live in Bangkok. (He has to pay her only 2000 Baht monthly, 1 day off a week; she also has a work-permit)

He already introduced me to this girl. She is about 20 years old and damned good looking.

Now my question: This maid would live in my Condo. How the hell you can sleep peacefully when next door the temptation is waiting?

Is there another expat who lives alone with his maid?

I don't think that I will accept this generous offer, but I am very interested in other opinions.

Didier

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My opinion

Do not have a closed mind.

Opportunity knocks most often only once.

Do not have regrets later.

You can always do away with any arrangement later if you do not like it.

Wish I had the same offer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Didier,

This is a really funny dilemma! Is your employer trying to give you a sexual perk?

I would not take the offer myself. I think it would be too awkward. If you did sleep with her, it would be like having a wife. No other ladies could come in. If you didn't sleep with her, her presence would be a huge invasion of privacy, especially where women are concerned.

Housekeeper, yes! Live in housekeeper, no!

Zane

This is interesting. Here is a case that is much closer to (sexual) exploitation than we've been talking about in another thread.

It's not, IMO, exploitation to take advantage of services offered freely.

However, when talking about "diddling the maid", you have to be much more careful. These girls are in a vary sensitive position and it would be extremely easy to exert influence on her (perhaps without trying) to do something she would rather not do.

I'm not such a tight-ass that I would say that any employer/employee relationship should be avoided, but you have to be very careful. You'd have to make sure she absolutely understood that she was under no obligations and that being just your maid was sufficient.

It's a fine fantasy, though. I'd probably be naive enough to accept the offer thinking I could somehow make it work out without anyone getting hurt.

By the way, I see no problem in paying her so little (2000B being below that of the average Thai maid) if she has a work permit and she was brought into the country of her own volition. Not that that was in question, but I thought I'd save myself a future post.

are you joking?

Off course the labourers from Myanmar don't have a work permit. That's why they cost not just much less than a Thai maid, but much less than the official minimum wage.

Sexual exploitation of South-East Asian maids is actually common in the Gulf states.

It's an illusion to think that there can be any freely consenting relationship between someone who gets 2000 B and her boss.

So I would decline the offer. I would not want to have sex with her, but I still would want to "sleep peacefully", as Didier put it.

Didier, are you joking?

You are talking about not only employing and under paying a foreigner maid without work permission, but you also want to bring her to live into your house.

This can cause you serious troubles with police.

Be very careful!

Swissman

Archived