Ja, and gup?????

AAAAHHHHHH!

#$%^#*$&*@?*&%#*

I got Thai learning CD, Nuttawud's site, and Lonely Planet's "Thai Phrasebook" all working here. I must say, Nuttawud's site it priceless, for it's ability to hear spoken Thai. And to be honest, Lonely Planets phrasebook is pretty good, at least with the basics, and has helped me to understand a lot.

I am making inroads, and am excited about my progress, but this "gup", and "ja" s**t is driving me nuts.

http://www.learningthai.com/listen/con_02.html

Girl 'Best' in her second speech here (Will you come with me? ((to room)), uses both terms in this short, common sentence, but I don't know why???

Any help on when, and why, you should insert these into Thai speech, would be greatly appreciated. I just can't seem to get my mind around their applications on a consistant basis.

HT

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Mint's answer, is just as confusing????

>>"Yes, I shall"<<

And that somehow transliterates to "Paan Ja bai gup khun"?

I know that a question that is asked in a certain form, must be answered in a like form. As in "dai mai? Question must be answered with either 'dai' (for yes), or mai dai (for no).

It would seem that 'ja' holds this same rule. Let's forget the 'gup' part, for now.

Confused as usual. ::

HT

I'm a little confused about what you're confused about.

OK

¨à (ja) translates as "will" and "shall". (Thai's love using shall mainly because they were told that it's more polite than will in cases like this. Unfortunately this has become somewhat obsolete with native speakers)

¡Ñº (gup) means "with" so the verb 仡Ѻ (pai gup) means "go with" add ¨à (ja) to indicate intent and you end up with "will go with"

Is that what you were confused about?

i have looked at this website. actually they have done a great job; also the translation is good however for the one learning thai, it would be better to provide a translation word by word, like:

©Ñ¹ ¨à ä» ¡Ñº ¤Ø³ chan/phom ja pai kap khun

Yes, I shall.

better: i shall/will go with you

and i have never never heard anybody call a waiter ¾¹Ñ¡§Ò¹ panakngan ::

It's perhaps confusing that they translate Best's last sentence as "I am checking out now." It would be more consistent with their other translations to use "I will leave the hotel now."

Hi Markle,

Answers my questions greatly. My confussion was centered around what 'gup' means. My L. Planet Thai dictionary has no listings for any Thai words starting with a 'G'. 'Kap' seems to be the literal translation, and both 'kap', and 'gup' seem to therefore get used interchangably, depending on source. This also brings to mind, another inconsistancy. 'Bai', and 'Pai', both seemed to be used for 'to go'. 'Pai seems to be the correct word, as I have no listing for 'bai'. I guess 'bai' is used some times because is sounds more appropiate. Anything I should know, concerning this?

"JA", also, is not listed by itself....only in 'yaak ja' (want), in which the 'ja' may be dropped, in informal conversation.

But your explaination clears things up for me perfectly. Thanks, as always, Markle. :)

HT

Hi samak,

The particular area on this site, where I got the above from, is not really a step-by-step teaching area. More a place to hear entire conversations. I do notice that English translation here is not on-the-money, as to what is actually being spoken. Also got to remember these are all 12 year old students, and section is to let you here different Thai accents.

http://www.learningthai.com/listen/con_06.html

Kunti (person 1) is great. She just let's it rip. Says 'chun sia jai' ('I'm sorry', as in if someone is hurt/death) so fast, can hardly make it out. ::

HT

>>>>djaow pai ngam kan bo?<<<<

:: :: :: ::

Let's see??? I know one word there. "Pai". All the rest are not in my dictionary. Well...I do know "Boo", with a slanted 'z (N) under last 'o'. A girls name (sounds like 'bow'), meaning exulted...raised above, higher than, etc.

My older Thai friend here saw her picture, with her name on back, as Boo had written it, and said, "Oh, Boo means she always like be on top you", and laughed away. ::

HT

Youre problem is with the various systems of translating the thai alphabet into the roman alphabet. Gup or kap which means "with" or "and" starts with a thai letter that is in effect a hard "g" and is sometimes written as a "k" or a "g". To add to the confusion sometimes the vowel is written as a "u" or as an "a". Likewise "bai" or "pai" are the same word and the letter it starts with is sort of a cross between a "b" and a "p"' and is wrtitten both ways.

Learning thai can be a little confusing at first.

Archived