Ja, and gup?????

Is 'So Pae Nee' insulting, as well? Say.....I ask girl who is with me, "Is your friend over there 'So Pae Nee?'", will she get offended because I've brought her occupation up, or are they pretty upfront with the word?

Obviously, I shouldn't add, "duay" in there, to say "Is she prostitute, like you (also/too)?" :o

HT

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I don't know how to ask a person whether she is a prostitute!!!

[color:"red"] Obviously, I shouldn't add, "duay" in there, to say "Is she prostitute, like you (also/too)?" [/color]

Your night may be ruined that way. I was told once by a hard-core ex-BG that she hated it when someone called her a prostitute. I asked her what would she have liked to be called, she said "Poo Ying Glang Kuen", "lady of the night/Night Woman".

I would skirt around a little bit for that question when you first met, especially in non-bar scence. I would ask some questions in around and about way.

HT, hope you get beeter answer than mine!! ::

Cheers!

Hi,

Oh yes. I very well understand about not calling girl I'm with a prostitute. Same as telling them "you bigger butterfly", after they call me one. :o

What I was thinking was that if I was with a puu-chai friend, and my G/F had a puu-ying friend, if my G/F would be insulted if I asked her if her if her friend was a 'so pae nee'?

Maybe would be better to just ask, "Is your friend available for my friend?, in Thai? I just hate having to say 'friend' in Thai, only because I have the hardest time with this word. ::

HT

Hi,

Ok, use your hands! and ask "Poo ying khon nan ja pai gup poo chai kon nee, dai mai?" (Will that woman go with this man?). Then if she agrees, ask "tong jai ngen/satang mai?" (Does she/you have to be paid?). If she says yes, she will tell you how much.

HT, I am learning to be a "Madame" here, my second career coming up!!!! :p:eek:

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

What I was thinking was that if I was with a puu-chai friend, and my G/F had a puu-ying friend, if my G/F would be insulted if I asked her if her if her friend was a 'so pae nee'?

Maybe would be better to just ask, "Is your friend available for my friend?, in Thai? I just hate having to say 'friend' in Thai, only because I have the hardest time with this word.

The Thai word for friend should be easily pronounced if you can clearly speak the falling tone.

Thais will get bored of conversation very quickly if you cannot clearly reproduce the tones, but will think that you are quite fluent if you can produce them well, even if the rest of your pronounciation is not all that perfect.

As for prostitute, there are many words, most of them rude.

Even the word SO-PAY®-NEE which is the formal written word and not in itself rude, would generally be taken as an insult when referring to or asking about a lady or one of her friends.

I have found one term that is not considered insulting:

SAO® HAA® NGERN or POO(f)-YING® HAA® NGERN

Basically this translates as a "girl in search of money", but they will know exactly what you mean.

When speaking to a bar girl, and you are truly not certain if her friend is a so called "good girl", you might ask:

KAO® HAA® NGERN MUEN®-KAN MAI(h)?

which would roughly mean "Is she seeking money same as you?" or "Is she in the same line of work as you are?"

At the risk of making her laugh you can use one of these old fashioned terms:

1. phuuying haa gin (woman who looks for food)

2. phuuying khaay boorigaan (woman who sells services)

3. phuuying aachiip phiseet (woman of a special occupation)

Isn't there another, even more arcane one to do with selling flowers?

[color:"red"] 3. phuuying aachiip phiseet (woman of a special occupation)[/color]

That is a new one to me, learning something everyday. :hug:

Edited:I was asked once (in the company of hubby in a tourist area), whether I was "Kha kai". I interpreted as he asked me whether I sell anything (not my body), I said no. Many days later, I realized I was aked whether I sold my body!!!

Cheers!

Archived