Ja, and gup?????

Hi Daeng,

This is exactly the problem I've been running into. Learning from one source would eliminate a lot of that, but I'd still have to understand this down the road, at some point. Not sure if it's better to learn this up front, or at a later point. One of the first words I learned turned out to be rather formal, and not used much (pat-a-kharn ((restaurant)). While frustrating spending time learning little-used formal words, it does give you a clear vision how things are, and to analyze each new word, as to it's frequency of use.

Right now, besides sentence structure, I'm picking up words to learn off of Thai radio. I figure these are the most common words, and this is indicative of everyday speech.

I'm also going to have to invest in a serious Thai dictionary. Mine is quite limited.

HT

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HT

Many people say If someone is serious about learning thai they should start learning the thai alphabet right from the start, solves alot of problems including pronunciation and the type of problem your having, the alphabet has to be learnt sooner or later anyway.

Learning the thai alphabet is not that difficult, much easier than it looks for sure and knowing the alphabet makes leaening the rest so much easier as well.

Beat me to it Daeng.

HT you've been coming to this board for at least a couple months and I can guarantee that if you'd started back then the alphabet would be piss easy by now. It is daunting at first but once you're over the hump :hubba: it's all downhill (in the good sense)

Are you in LOS or OS? If you're here I would recommend TV as a good source of language, especially for getting used to context. If you're OS you can still get VDO from the local Thai video store.

Seriously I spent a couple months laxing in front of the TV and my Thai vocab expanded heaps.

OK..

Hearing it from two incredibly well versed members, I shall take to heart, both of your advise. For the record, I live in Hawaii (USA), and have very limited access to the Thai language, thus being even more so, I guess, that I should start with the Thai alphabet, albeit being limited access to the actual speech.

How many Thai consonants are there?? 46?...AAAHHHH!

But hey.... your right. I gotta learn sooner, or later.

Thanks to you both. You've both been a great help to me so far, and has been much appriciated, a well as other board members contributions.

Markle is a wonder. A true mentor, always willing to help out.

Thanks, dude.

HT

[color:"blue"]Let's see??? I know one word there. "Pai". All the rest are not in my dictionary.[/color]

That's because he was trying to wow you with his superior knowledge of Thailand by translating the phrase into Lao (in other words, you can't find this stuff in your dictionary because it's not Thai).

Just for newbies finding this thread at a later date...... "Khun pai gup phom, Pattaya, chai mai?", means "You go with me Pattaya, or not?". It would mean your asking other person if they want go *now*.

Insert a "ja" before verb "Pai", and the 'ja' indicates that you want to go at a later date. Say "Khun *ja* bai gup phom Pattaya chai mai?", and it changes to mean "You go with me Pattaya, or not?" (but at a later date, instead of right now).

You would probably insert a time reference in there, to explain when you wanted to go, if you inserted the time marker 'ja'. 'Phrung nii' means 'tomorrow'. So:

"Phrung nii, Khun ja pai gup phom Pattaya, chai mai?" would say, "Tomorrow, you go with me Pattaya, or not?"

You could change the 'chai mai' (or not?), to 'dai mai' (can you?), depending on the situation. You could also insert 'chawp' (like) after 'Khun', to read," Tomorrow, you *like* go with me Pattaya, or not?"

Holy shit.....what am I doing? I'm giving Thai language advise on a Thai sanuk board, and don't even know how to say 'prostitute' yet, in Thai???

WTF?? :: :: :: ::

Doxy Blue ( :: )

Hi,

Just a little tip.

[color:"red"] "Phrung nii, Khun ja pai gup phom Pattaya, chai mai?" [/color]

A Thai would say:

"Phrung nii, Khun ja pai Pattaya gup phom mai?"

Always put object behind a verb. "Pai Pattaya" (Go to Pattaya): "Seu Kow Pad" (Buy Fried rice), "Ann Naagseu" (Read a book).

"chai mai" means "Is that right?" If you put just "mai" in the end, some sentences will become questions "Aroi Mai?" means Is it delicious?

[color:"red"] and don't even know how to say 'prostitute' yet, in Thai??? [/color]

The polite way is "So Pae Nee", but there are a few common words.

Cheers! ::

Archived