Tips for hotel maids

bushman

I know that this subject has been discussed in the past . I recently return from LOS. My gf told me that I was the only farang that she had been with that left a tip for the hotel maids.

My gf is not an old timer but she has been around for several years and has no problem finding customers. I really find this hard to believe but don't think she would mention it if it wasn't

true

I am sure that none of her customers were members of this board??

Bush

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also guilty of tipping the maid(s). Often there is a few maids that works each floor, so when I saw them together I give them 100-Bt to split between them. They were not tipped daily, but every 3-4 days. Such was sufficient to assure I received extra towels and my laundry was always promptly returned.

Tipping the maid is a must (IMHO). They remember very well who gives tips and who dont. 100 Baht a Day is actually pretty much. The salary per month is around 2500-3500 Baht. So i always give per day around 20 Baht per maid (they are working most of the time as a duo) and when i leave 100 Baht each. It always worked very well for me. :)

mupfel

I don't know what the current standard (expectation) is in Thailand or any other country, but I think I have been a bad boy as far as tipping maids is concerned :(

When I was a kid, I remember my dad always left a nice tip, somewhere obvious, at the end of our stay (usually in Europe).

In Thailand, I don't often see my maids, but do tip them a hundred or two for special requests. I hope that makes up for the change I leave laying about the room as I scurry for the airport, broke. ::

I am glad you bring up this subject again as it can't be said enough times.

I agree with Mupfel that tipping the maid is a "must" ,not only in LOS but in all poorer countries where this job is paid badly.

The fact that they are already very happy with a 20 baht tip per day shows they are paid badly by their employers.

Besides that :you have also benefit from it yourself when you tip the maid: extra towels etc.

I think so too that most guests don't tip their maid while they tip large amounts to girls in the bars and in restaurants.

I always leave 20 bath on a daily basis.

Personally I believe 100 bath per day is way too much. This has nothing to do with greed, but with a simple calculation. Each of us is paying already 10% service charge which is based on the hotel rate. For a 2000 bath hotel this adds up a 200 bath ?tip?. However, I have to admit that I do not know if the staff really ever will see something of this money.

Therefore another calculation. Let?s suppose one room cleaner is responsible for 10 hotel rooms. Let?s assume each guest would leave 100 bath per day. Adds up to a tip of 1'000 baths per day!!! Again, not every guest is leaving 100 baths and some leave nothing.

However, taking in consideration that e.g. a shop girl makes 5-10k bath a month I would figure everybody being employed in a tourist related area (can make tip) is fairly well off anyway.

Quote by Twoluckyone:

The fact that they are already very happy with a 20 baht tip per day shows they are paid badly by their employers.

Please do not forget that 20 bath is enough to buy a rather good meal. Or would you say a 10$ tip in the States is lousy?

Cheers

Archived